PDA

View Full Version : Comments after using ISX for a while

carsten
12-19-2002, 09:04 AM
After using the ISX4 in a large project I have compiled the following comments and remarks to the product.
First this version of ISX is much better that any previous versions, appreciate that. The user interface is elegant and easy to work with.

1) We are using ISX in an automated build, and I still cannot comprehend that the version number cannot be set by the command line, maybe the most important parameter.

2) Working with the new conditions is very nice, however one thing is strange. In the conditions you can select between operating systems, file searches and selected features, - very good. The problem is that between the three conditions you have an OR statement? Let me give an example: I want to run a custom action when (the operating system is Windows NT, 2000 or XP) and (Feature1) is selected for installation. This is not possible, because the condition will be, when (the operating system is Windows NT, 200 or XP) or (Feature1). I don’t think this is very useful, please let me hear what other people think.

3) I found a way to solve this problem, by creating an invisible feature. What are the rules for invisible features, are they always installed when the parent feature is selected?

4) When using the file search condition, I could not find any way to delete the search again? Furthermore it seemed to influence the condition even it was not selected. Hurrah for version control.

5) On a virgin Windows 2000 with SP2 and IE5 we saw a problem after installing for the very first time. All the short cut referred to a network installation, that could not be found. A reboot solved the problem.

6) And I still have the readme file checkmark problem on the last page, and yes I upgraded the project from version 3.5x, but still....

Keep up the fine work, and have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

- cpede

Mike Marino
12-19-2002, 12:03 PM
In response to number two on your list, The Condition created for Windows 95, Windows 98 and Feature1 is created as follows:

(Windows 95 or Windows 98) and Feature1.

What may be confusing is how we list it in the inline help. If you were to open up the built MSI package, the condition would be as I wrote it above.

Hope this helps,
Mike Marino