PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect icon displayed in shortcuts

rjwheeler
12-17-2002, 09:39 PM
I have a basic installer with 1 program file. I have shortcuts to this file in the standard folder and on the desktop. I have filled in all of the shortcut properties and I have used an ico file for the Icon File property.

My problem is that after installation, the wrong icon appears for the shortcut. I have inspected the shortcut, and under the 'Change Icon' button it's path is set to:
"%SystemRoot%\Installer\{GUID}\NewShortcut2.exe"

Please help.

Rick.

Mike Marino
12-19-2002, 12:35 PM
What platform did you build this setup under. Due to some APIs not being available under 9x, we have a slight different mechanism under NT vs 9x.

If you open the .exe at "%SystemRoot%\Installer\{GUID}\NewShortcut2.exe" does it contain the correct icon? You can browse this EXE for icons using the Express Shortcuts view---or any Icon viewer).

RlsDev
12-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Does a different icon other than the one you expect display? I have 2 programs I installed with Installshield Express and they both display the same icon. They both use NewShortCut1.exe. When you rename a shortcut in Installshield, it retains Newshortcut? as the name. I believe this to be a bug!

dhpilot
12-26-2002, 03:51 PM
I built an install with Express version 3.53 that used icon files that worked very well. I have since purchased Express version 4.0 and the shortcut icons do not seem to work correctly. I am using the same information that was used in v3.53 but what I am seeing for the icon that is generated is the generic windows icon for a shortcut.

Any help is appreciated.

RlsDev
12-26-2002, 04:26 PM
Concerning the incorrect icon display: I went into my setup project, selected the desktop shortcut already created and browsed to the VB project .exe to re-set the icon file, rebuilt the setup project and reinstalled the program on a laptop. The icon displayed correctly. When I right-click the shortcut on the laptop and select 'change icon', it has a different name (not NewShortCut?.exe). This project was initially created in ISE 3.5. Try pointing to the shortcut icon again and rebuilding your setup.

dhpilot
12-26-2002, 04:31 PM
I am pointing the target to a .cmd file not an .exe file. My icon I am setting up is a .ico file. I did try the rebuild several times, and I also uninstalled and re-installed Express4.0, but still have no success.

Chandima
01-06-2003, 03:58 PM
This was a bug that was in Express 3.54 (due to a limitation of the Windows Installer). We fixed it in Express 4.0 so I am suprised that you still get it. Please send me you ise file to chandimar@installshield.com and I'll take a look. Thanks!

moneill
07-31-2003, 02:18 PM
We are using InstallShield Express 3.5 SP4 to distribute our VB6.0 projects. The desktop shortcuts work fine. When I drag the desktop icon to the Quick Launch bar, the icon is correct. However, when the program is launched, the icon in the Quick Launch icon is then changed to a different icon that exists in the same folder!

Chandima
08-13-2003, 04:40 PM
That is very strange. The fact that Express installs the shortcut to expected location with the correct icon means Express built the setup correctly. This could be a WinXP issue or some incompatibility of XP with Windows Installer. I tried this with Express 4.0 and couldn't reproduce the problem. Please note that this does NOT mean that the problem is fixed in Express 4.0. It's just the version of Express I have installed to try this out with. For what it's worth, make a backup of your project and run the attached tool against it. Rebuild the project and install. Does it make any difference?