PDA

View Full Version : WinRunner and InstallShield Express 4

Jamie Carr
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
We're running all our installation procedures using Mercury Interactive's WinRunner version 6 (which is sort of a Macro builder on steroids) and ISX3 and this has been working great for the last two years. We've built many many macros on this environment which have taken literally thousands of man hours to create.

Here's the issue:

When you have an .ocx file in your install, ISX4 extracts the COM information for the installation. When I was running the installation procedure with ISX3 or ISX4 under Windows NT 4 sp6 it appeared to work fine, however today I built a new installation machine and I'm now building all of our installs on Windows 2000.

We're using a command line to do the ISX4 build and during the installation process a message appears that says:

"ISRegSpy detects following module "c:\program files\mercury interactive\winrunner\arch\wbbhook.dll" hooked into this process, which will cause ISRegspy to malfunction.
You need to shut the application down and restart COM extraction."

What I've found is that if I shut down the WinRunner application before it gets to the point where the COM extraction is done, then ISX4 completes the install successfully.

Shutting down WinRunner during the install building process is simply not a permanent solution and so my question is, is there anything that can be done about this?

Chandima
12-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Believe it or not but we use WinRunner for some of our automated tests on Express and Developer too! We run in to this problem as well for the build tests. I'm afraid we haven't figured out a workround for this either. This was introduced with the new COM Extraction algorithm in Express 3.54 (and Developer 7.02 I think).