PDA

View Full Version : Error 1721

nlsanlsa
12-11-2002, 05:58 AM
I have deployed my project as "single image." Several users can't install it because they hit Error 1721 (" Error 1721: There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.).

They then download Setup.EXE which ought to contain the MSI engines but it doesn't help. The problem seems to be restricted to Windows ME users.

Any ideas?

Chandima
12-11-2002, 11:23 AM
If the setup works on some machines and fails on others it is most probably Windows Installer related.

1. Do you have any Custom Actions?
2. Does the setup stop right at the beginning or somewhere during the progressbar?
3. Are you doing any searches on the system (using the System Search Wizard)?
4. Log the install on one of these machines. When the error pops up, save the log to another location WITHOUT closing the error dialog. This way the last few lines will show what is causing the error. You can post the logfile here. To log the setup run the following command line:

Setup.exe /v"/lv C:\testlog.txt"

nlsanlsa
12-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Chandima
If the setup works on some machines and fails on others it is most probably Windows Installer related.

1. Do you have any Custom Actions?

Yes, one, a serial number check.

2. Does the setup stop right at the beginning or somewhere during the progressbar?

According to users, it stops mid-way. Users haven't told me exactly where it stops.

3. Are you doing any searches on the system (using the System Search Wizard)?

No.

4. Log the install on one of these machines. When the error pops up, save the log to another location WITHOUT closing the error dialog. This way the last few lines will show what is causing the error. You can post the logfile here. To log the setup run the following command line:

Setup.exe /v"/lv C:\testlog.txt"
Can't do it here... I have to rely on users and they're not very good reporters. Some also say that they see this error: "File C:\MSI\INSTMSIA.EXE not found " when they run Setup.EXE. Doesn't Setup.EXE contain this file already?

Chandima
12-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Do these errors usually occur on Windows 9X machines or on some other machines as well? As you mentioned, instmsia.exe (and instmsiw.exe) are streamed in to Setup.exe. In the past I have seen some problems with the msi engine setup causing funny things on Windows 9X platforms.

Send these users instmsia.exe and ask them manually run it. After that see if running Setup.exe works OK. Also ask them to clean out their Temp folders and see if it makes any difference.

nlsanlsa
12-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful support

It appears that the error is happening only on Windows ME. I will try having the users download and run instmsia.EXE It certainly is a bother, however.

MRO