PDA

View Full Version : WinExec failed: return=87

geoffcox
12-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I have had this error before and I remember Chandima passed this problem along the line but cannot remember whether a solution was found !!??

When running my installation I get the "WinExec failed:return=87" error message when the Java Runtime Environment installation (a self extracting exe file) is run.

I have no problem if I run this file from Windows Explorer - only when it is run from ISX (both v4 and before that v3.53).

I am using ISX v4 under Windows XP Home at the moment..

Cheers

Geoff

Chandima
12-10-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm afraid this doesn;t ring any bells. This does NOT look like a Windows Installer error and that is strange. My initial guess would be that the exe is returning a value that the installer interprets as an error (just like Explorer.exe on Win2K and XP - go figure).

You are running this file as a Custom Action right? If so is the "Source Location" property set to "Browse File System"? If so (don't know why I use "If so" so often) it could be becausse at runtime the file is extracted to the temp folder, and the exe in turn extracts IT'S contents to the temp folder and confuses Windows.

Try the following in Express 4.0.
0. Create a new project
1. Add this exe to the "English" node in "Setup Files" view
2. Create an Exe Custom Action
3. Set the "Source Location" property to "File Exists on Target Machine"
4. Set the "Folder Name" property to [SUPPORTDIR]
5. Set the FileName property Javeruntime.exe (whatever the file is).
6. Build and run

Does this cause an error?

If this fails try distributing this Exe with your setup and setting the Custom Actions "Source Location" property to "Installed with Product".

geoffcox
12-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Chandima,

thanks - will try this out. By the way, apologies for getting your name wrong in my other message.

Thanks

Geoff

Originally posted by Chandima
I'm afraid this doesn;t ring any bells. This does NOT look like a Windows Installer error and that is strange. My initial guess would be that the exe is returning a value that the installer interprets as an error (just like Explorer.exe on Win2K and XP - go figure).

You are running this file as a Custom Action right? If so is the "Source Location" property set to "Browse File System"? If so (don't know why I use "If so" so often) it could be becausse at runtime the file is extracted to the temp folder, and the exe in turn extracts IT'S contents to the temp folder and confuses Windows.

Try the following in Express 4.0.
0. Create a new project
1. Add this exe to the "English" node in "Setup Files" view
2. Create an Exe Custom Action
3. Set the "Source Location" property to "File Exists on Target Machine"
4. Set the "Folder Name" property to [SUPPORTDIR]
5. Set the FileName property Javeruntime.exe (whatever the file is).
6. Build and run

Does this cause an error?

If this fails try distributing this Exe with your setup and setting the Custom Actions "Source Location" property to "Installed with Product".

geoffcox
12-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Chandima,

sorry! what do you mean

1. add to the "English" node in "Setup Files" view?

Geoff

Originally posted by geoffcox
Hello,

I have had this error before and I remember Chandima passed this problem along the line but cannot remember whether a solution was found !!??

When running my installation I get the "WinExec failed:return=87" error message when the Java Runtime Environment installation (a self extracting exe file) is run.

I have no problem if I run this file from Windows Explorer - only when it is run from ISX (both v4 and before that v3.53).

I am using ISX v4 under Windows XP Home at the moment..

Cheers

Geoff

Chandima
12-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Oops! I meant to add the exe (the one you want to run as a custom action) to the Setup files view. Assuming this is an English project, the Setup files view will have two nodes named "English (United States)" and "Disk1". Add the exe to the first node.

geoffcox
12-10-2002, 05:01 PM
Oops! I meant to add the exe (the one you want to run as a custom action) to the Setup files view. Assuming this is an English project, the Setup files view will have two nodes named "English (United States)" and "Disk1". Add the exe to the first node.

Chandima,

still do not understand ...

where do I find "English(United States)" and Disk1 ? Also you said Folder Name property should be [SUPPORTDIR] - at which point do I do this?

however - I have tried adding the jre installation exe to my [INSTALLDIR] and then used the "File exists on Target machine"
as part of the Custom Action, rather than "Browse file system" and it works OK now !

Could you please just tell me how, under ISX v4.0, I give the user the option to choose the drive and the folder for the application files? I am sure I saw it recently, but cannot find it again!

Cheers

Geoff

Chandima
12-10-2002, 05:24 PM
The "English(United States)" and "Disk1" nodes are in the "Setup Files" View (under the Custom Actions view). So my hunch was right. Basically running it as "File Exists on Target System" fixes the problem. Thanks for verifying that.

To let the user change the install loction you just have to include the "Destination Folder" dialog with your setup (in the Dialogs View). I hope this is what you were referring to.

geoffcox
12-10-2002, 06:42 PM
The "English(United States)" and "Disk1" nodes are in the "Setup Files" View (under the Custom Actions view). So my hunch was right. Basically running it as "File Exists on Target System" fixes the problem. Thanks for verifying that.

Chandima,

got it! didn't think of looking a little further down the list! Can you tell me where the jre installation exe file is held? I would like to check that it is removed after the installation.

Thanks for the info below.

Cheers

Geoff

To let the user change the install loction you just have to include the "Destination Folder" dialog with your setup (in the Dialogs View). I hope this is what you were referring to.

Chandima
12-11-2002, 11:06 AM
If you put it in the "English (United States)" node this file is streamed in to the msi file, and at runtime is extracted to a subfolder of the Temp directory. The path to this Temp location is stored in the SUPPORTDIR variable.

FYI - If you put it in the "Disk1" node, the file will just be copied to same location as the msi. Nothing special happens to this file at runtime.

rita_amritkar
02-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Hi all,

I want to add a floder in SUPPORTDIR and want to copy it to destnation during installation. But we cann't add a folder in SUPPORTDIR.
could u suggest me an alternative way fro this. so that I can use that folder during installation.

Plz reply soon.

Thanks in advance.