PDA

View Full Version : RICHTX32.OCX and Win98

frankosaurus
12-09-2002, 10:30 AM
I've tried using the Microsoft Rich Textbox control Merge Module which I downloaded from installshield. Does this module deploy different verions of Rich Edit depending on whether the target system is Win98 or WinNT/2000?

Does this merge module include the RICHTX32.OCX control?

I'm using the Microsoft Rich Textbox control in my VB app, and I've noticed that it behaves differently depending on which platform I deploy on.

There are some Rich Edit features that don't work when I deploy to Win98 machines, but work fine on WinNT/2000.

I've also tried skipping the merge module and manually installing these objects on Win98, which I've pulled from a Win2000 machine:

RICHTX32.OCX
riched32.dll
riched20.dll

...but no luck there either. Am I missing some crucial component? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

--Frank

Chandima
12-09-2002, 02:49 PM
I just took a look at the merge module and it doesn't do anything special. It has just richtx32.ocx (version 6.0.88.77) being installed to the system folder. Doesn't have any custom actions or conditions on operating systems. My guess is that this file doesn't get installed on Win2K, Me and XP because they come with higher versions of this file. What happens if you manually copy this file from your development machine and register it? Does your application work properly then?

kmoulton
04-29-2004, 11:04 AM
I am wondering if the richtx32_X86.msm merge module works correctly.

According to the MM description it has no dependencies. According to the Dependency Walker it does have some dependencies but maybe they all come with the OS.

We have done some testing on Richtx32.ocx and it appears that is not part of the OS for either Win2k or XP.

1) Does this merge module put Richtx32.ocx down on every OS?

2) Does anybody know anything about distributing Richtx32.ocx?

3) Is there a problem if this version of Richtx32.ocx goes down over an older version?

4) Does this version of Richtx32.ocx expect a certain version of Richtx32.dll?

Thanks,

--Kim