PDA

View Full Version : Report users by prod/version incorrect

hlogmans
12-06-2002, 05:46 AM
The reports for users by product and version are incorrect: a user who has upgraded from version 1 to 2 is reported both with version 1 and 2. This way I cannot see if all users upgraded or not. This way I can only see how many users there have been with version x.

I can guess a bit because the users with the highest versions should not be included in the version-1 and so on, but that amount of calculations should not be neccesary.

Chris Woerner
12-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Let me describe how the reporting works. I don't believe that we have a problem, but please tell me based on my explanation and your experience.....

Each time your customer checks for updates, we log the user guid, product, version and date. When a customer moves from one version to another, he will be in our logs more than once.

Lets take an example of a user who checks for updates each day. On Dec 2, the user moves from version 1 to version 2. As such, our logs would look something like this....

GUID1 PROD1 VER1 DEC1
GUID1 PROD1 VER1 DEC2
GUID1 PROD1 VER2 DEC2
GUID1 PROD1 VER2 DEC3

When we report, we pull unique users over a given timeperiod. So if you are running a report for the month of December, the user will show under both versions. But that was true for December, the user did in fact use both versions.

If you run a report for Dec 2, you will see the user twice.
If you run a report for Dec 3, you will see the user once.

Make Sense?

hlogmans
12-10-2002, 04:10 AM
Yep, that does make sense. But of course for an update-service it is very important to track the amount of users that did, or did not upgrade to the new version. So maybe you should add a check box to only count the 'latest check'.

But this way there is also another problem: users that only check once in three months are two month not reported as user of the product.

Of course when planning things you can take into account these numbers are affected by the above problems, but I think it would be VERY appreciated to get an accurate list of users-per-version on a certain date. Even if the last 'check' of a user was half a year ago, he should be reported as having version x.

Of course a user could always have deïnstalled the product. And if the user reïnstalled the product, and does not upgrade (but did check), he should again be reported as having version 1.

hlogmans
01-09-2003, 06:17 AM
It would nice to have an exported (comma delimited list) of the 'check moments' like you described above. Then who wants to know every detail and generate nice graphs could do it themselves by importing this data into access or excel.

(if you provide me a one-time list for our company, I could analyze it to check if it is possible what I expect. If not, you don't waste your time developing things that are not usable to use, and can use that time to fix ugly crashed ( :) ))

(Eikelboom & De Bondt IT Services BV)

Chris Woerner
01-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I am happy to provide a file of your company's data. Please send me a request via email with:

ISUS serial number
date range of your request

I will send you a transaction log. This is the same log that we use to summarize into our reporting.

My email: chrisw@installshield.com.

hlogmans
02-04-2003, 04:55 PM
hmm, did the request some time ago. Forgotten? Never arrived? Not possible?

regards,

Hugo Logmans

Chris Woerner
02-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Sorry for the delay. Your request is not forgotten. You actually caught us in the middle of moving some of the archieve data from one machine to another. We are waiting on the arrival of a new hard drive. I should have it to you soon.

hlogmans
03-10-2003, 04:32 AM
1. Reminder...

2. Some small addition to this:
If a user updates his program, it would be nice if he still has an internet connection open and a new check is done, at least registered he uses versie 3 instead of 2. This way it is easier to see the up-to-date stats for users. I have the update-interval set to 7 days, so a user could already be using version 3 for a week without us knowing. It is very important for us to know the percentage of users that have the latest version.

Originally posted by Chris Woerner
Sorry for the delay. Your request is not forgotten. You actually caught us in the middle of moving some of the archieve data from one machine to another. We are waiting on the arrival of a new hard drive. I should have it to you soon.