PDA

View Full Version : Not starting IE

hlogmans
12-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi,

a few users have problems detecting the updates. One of them has a permanent Internet connection. When detecting updates from the menu-item they shortly see the first page of the update wizard. Then that screen disappears en nothing happens. There is an update available for their version. It seems to be IE cannot be started or something like that.

In the documentation, something like the Update manager is documented (for logging), and where it should be. But it is not there nor can I find it on disk. Any info?:(

Chris Woerner
12-09-2002, 08:26 PM
We have seen the scenario you described once before. In that case, the date format in the Update Service data file got corrupt causing the behavior you desribe. Can you ask one of your users to send me the following INI file?

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database\{Your GUID}.ini

Sorry for the problem.

hlogmans
12-10-2002, 04:17 AM
I have requested the data from my customers. As soons as they respond, I will post them.

From my experience, I known of the following shortdate-settings used in the Netherlands

DD-MM-YYYY (Default recommended for all our software)
DD.MM.YYYY
DD/MM/YYYY
DD-MM-YY
D-M-YY
M/D/YY
MM/DD/YY
MM/DD/YYYY

(And one user who used DD:MM:YY, but he changed it immediatly when I pointed out the problems he could get)

hlogmans
12-10-2002, 04:20 AM
As you could see, i always recommend against using de windows date-format for internal storage because you just cannot be sure of the date which is intended with 02/02/2002.

Chris Woerner
12-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks for those posts. The information on the different date formats is helpful. We tested most (but not all) of those. It is possible that we don't work with one of those formats. We will do a little research from our end as well.

hlogmans
12-11-2002, 10:12 AM
File sent by customer

[Main]
ScheduleInterval=7
MessageFilter=-1
LastCheck=06.12.2002

hlogmans
12-12-2002, 03:58 AM
[Main]
ScheduleInterval=7
MessageFilter=-1
LastCheck=01-01-1900

Seems this person cannot start the update service at all. I have checks to prevent starting the service when someone works without admin privileges on a NT machine. If it is not possible to check then a messagbox appears. Maybe that does not happen.

I'll check this out.

hlogmans
01-03-2003, 05:10 AM
Any news on this bug?