PDA

View Full Version : Error 1931 ..cannot update system file..

ChuckChamblee
12-04-2002, 01:55 PM
When I install my package on a Windows 2000 machine, I get an error message, "Error 1931. The Windows Installer service cannot update the system file .. (ODBCJT32.DLL). Is there a way that I can prevent the Access Driver from getting installed on Windows 2000 machines, but allow it to install the msm on Windows NT 4.0 machines? Read some info on setting a conditional in the MSM file, "(VersionNT < 500)", but I have no idea how to edit MSM files.

CC

Chandima
12-04-2002, 03:15 PM
I don't think this file is in a merge module. I remeber mentioning setting conditions for the DAO 360 merge module to avoid this on Win2K and ME machines. This fix has been made in Express 4.0.

Go to your Files View and see if you are installing this file. If so, you can right click on the file, select properties and select the Operating Systems you want this file to install on.

BTW, you get this message because this file is under System File Protection on 2K and ME. It's not an Expres or Msi bug.

ChuckChamblee
12-04-2002, 04:09 PM
I AM using Express version 4.0. I don't think it's a merge module either. But I am installing ODBC Resources for Microsoft Access Driver and SQL Server. I am definately not installing the ODBCJT32.DLL file manually, I checked. How do I set the OS conditions on ODBC Resources?

CC

Chandima
12-04-2002, 05:19 PM
When you add the ODBC resource the driver files get added to the [SystemFolder] automatically. See what feature the ODBC resource is associated with. Then go to the files view, select the this feature, locate the file and then make this setting.

ChuckChamblee
12-04-2002, 05:31 PM
I see the odbcjt32.dll file in the Files and Features view, but I see no means for setting a conditional on it. Right clicking on the file only gives me choice of 'copy', 'paste', or 'remove'. Am I missing something?

CC

Chandima
12-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Go to the files view and select the correct feature in the combo (at the top of the view). Now you will find this file in [SystemFolder]. Right click on the file and select properties. You will find this option there.

ChuckChamblee
12-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks. That did it!