PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Error Could not register type library

lemuel
11-30-2002, 12:00 AM
I upgraded to ISE4 yesterday and have so far been regretting it. I'm up against a tight deadline so I'm going to have to uninstall it and go back to 3.53 to get the work out the door.

My installs are all generating a "1911 Could not register type library" referencing the dao350.dll

I have the file set to use system attributes and extract com information. I have tried unregistering it on the development machine prior to packing it.

The old (ISE 3.53) build works smooth as silk. The one article in the knowledge base is feeble and Google coughed up this very problem as an issue in InstallShield Pro a year or two ago.

I would appreciate some guidance with this problem.

Thanks
Lemo

Chandima
12-02-2002, 06:21 PM
This is because you have the dao350 dll and tlb in the same project. Their COM information overwrite each other and causes this problem. Try removing the tlb file from your project and then building. Let me know if it fixes the problem.

lemuel
12-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the response. The .tlb is not included in the project.

I'm wondering why it works in 3.53 and not in 4? I have currently removed 4 but when I get some time to fight it I'll have another go.

Chandima
12-02-2002, 07:49 PM
That's strange. This wasn't a problem in Express 3.53 because the COM extraction overwrote the Typelib entries. With Express 3.54 we drastically improved the COM extraction algorithm. This was a side-effect of that change.

Just remembered the perfect workaround! You can get Express 4.0 to use the 3.53 COM extraction algorithm (You could do this in 3.54 as well)!! Try the following:

1. Launch Regedit
2. Create the following registry key and set it's value to "y":

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\Developer\7.0\UseOldComExtraction

3. Open (or upgrade) your project to Express 4.0 and build

This fixed the same problem for a number of 3.54 users. Let me know (when you get the time) if it works or not. Thanks!

lemuel
12-02-2002, 08:23 PM
Thank you again Chandima.

That certainly points me in the right direction. I'll try massaging the registy and see if it helps when I get it back on.

I'm not extremely confident about the problem build in any case.
Converting 3.53 project results in INSTALLDIR problems peripherially addressed in Q107491. In my case attempting to delete the DIRPROPERTY1 results in the creation of a spurious directory DIRPROPERTY2 and causes an attempted build to fail with a fatal error 66XX I think.

When I convert the project and just let it do what it wants to it will build with no errors (except a missing mfcans.msm which I can't find any more at the website). I have a copy from 3.53 which should work ok I think. The .msm files are written to a Microsoft standard are they not?

Of course I never managed to get the build installed on anything because of the 1911 error. (Actually it did install but attempts to address the database of course failed).

I'm starting to think that the best thing would be to re-create the project from scratch in 4.0 rather than trying to convert in any case.

Thanks again

lemo

Chandima
12-03-2002, 12:45 PM
To fix the annoying DIRPROPERTY1 issue try the following (when you have 4.0 installed again):

1. Open your project
2. Go to General Information View
3. Select INSTALLDIR property
4. Click the ellipse button and launch the "Directory Browse Dialog"
5. Look at all the root level folders. Are there any besides the pre-defined ones? If so, and you don't need them anymore, delete those folders from this dialog.
6. Press Cancel (otherwise it'll reset your INSTALLDIR value!)

I just checked Express 3.53 and it seems we never shipped a mfcans.msm with it. Express 4.0 has the same microsoft modules that came with 3.53. These are all the ones that come with Visual Studio Sp5.