PDA

View Full Version : Unable to build QuickPatch project from the command line

dvheusden
11-28-2002, 08:18 AM
When I try to build a QuickPatch project from the command line I get the following error messages:
Build started at Nov 28 2002 02:13 PM

ISEXP : fatal error -5002: Internal build error
ISEXP : fatal error -6199: Internal build error

The command line that I use to perform the build is:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield\Express\System>IsExpCmdBld.exe -p U:\hpovams_dev_sd40\sd\sp\in\wi\agent_sp_msi.ise

Is it not possible to build a QuickPatch project from the command line? I can see that the default command line options for the IsExpCmdBld.exe are not really related to a QuickPatch project, but rather to a "normal" project:
---COMMAND LINE OPTIONS---

--REQUIRED--

-p <file name> project file name

--OPTIONAL--

-r <Media Type> name of the Media Type
-c <release configuration>
COMP = Files compressed into .msi file;
UNCOMP = Files remain uncompressed
-b <build location> full path to the output folders and files
-s silent build
-e <Y/N> include Setup.exe in the build
-i <.ini file path> full path to an .ini file
-u upgrade only
-x stop at first error
-w treat warnings as errors
-m <CUB file> name of the CUB file to use to validate the package
-k use specified skin
-q1 build tables only
-q2 build tables and refresh files
-q3 only compile setup.rul

Chandima
12-02-2002, 05:42 PM
I'm afraid you cannor build a patch from the command line. The quickpatch is built using a microsoft exe named MakeCab.exe. Not quite sure what the parameters this file needs though. Also created Work Order 1-BX32O to cleanup the information the command line build shows. The last 5 or 6 should not apply to Express.

You can programmatically build patches in InstallShield Developer. But that is NOT through the command line builder. That is done through the CreatePatch method in the automation interface.

dvheusden
12-16-2002, 08:03 AM
I am a bit confused about your answer Chandima. Why is it possible to build a QuickPatch from the Express UI, but not from the command line?

I would say that from within the Express UI you also need to call the MakeCab.exe and this apparently works. Why wouldn't you be able to do the exact same thing, except not show the GUI? That sounds very strange to me.

It is essential for an automated build process to be able to build patches without user interaction, I cannot think of any respectable company that doesn't have the policy to be able to create an automated build.

I do hope you consider this problem as a bug, and not as an enhancement request. Could you let me know if it would help if I create a high priority service request for this issue?

Chandima
01-06-2003, 03:28 PM
The build process of a QuickPatch and a normal project are two entirely different things. The normal build process (and command line build) simply reads an ism/ise and populates an msi file.

The QuickPatch build does the following:
- Create the "Upgraded Image" msi file
- Diff the Upgraded Image msi and Original Image msi
- Create a pcp file using the Diff info
- Send the pcp file to MakeCab.exe to create the patch

We might have to create a new file that allows you to build a patch from a command line. This is a valid request. I am creating Work Order 1-C9K84 as a Feature Request for this. Thanks!

dvheusden
01-10-2003, 04:43 AM
Thanks Chandima. We eager await the command line build executable. We are also happy to test any beta executable.

Kind regards,

David van Heusden

Chandima
01-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Just got word from development that WO 1-C9K84 was approved and that it will be in the next service pack. Sorry I can't give any details about tentative dates for the service pack though.