PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall

Tobyjohn
11-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Hi All,

I am have problems uninstalling a project when using Express 4.

Basicly the .exe files and there shortcuts are not being deleted, this was not a problem with Express 3.5

Any ideas?

Thanks

Toby

Chandima
11-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Was this a project upgraded from 3.5? If so, go to the files view and see if these file's "Shared" property is set (these are set by default in 3.54). If so, try making them not shared, build, install and uninstall. Does this work?

Tobyjohn
11-27-2002, 04:19 AM
Unfortunatly they are not shared, or set to permanent.

In desperation I have started a new project using the project wizard, but this also has the same results. 4 out of 6 executables are not deleted and there shortcuts in the program files folder are not removed.

I have since posting the first message found out that this effect doesn't happen on ALL pc's the install script is run on. Which make me think a previous install has set something in the registery telling the new install the files are not to be deleted.

If there a way I can force an uninstall?

Thanks

Toby

Chandima
11-27-2002, 10:39 AM
Try the following:

1. Launch Regedit
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
3. Look at this key's values and delete (if any) all the values that match the files that don't get uninstalled. This is the machines DLL Refcount. Everytime a DLL that is shared is copied to the machine this number is incremented. When it is deleted it's decremented. I have seen in the past files don't get uninstalled because this ref counter is not set properly. This is a Windows Installer operation by the way.
4. Run your setup
5. Uninstall

Do the files get removed?

Tobyjohn
11-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi,

Yup that fixes it on the machines here at work. Hopefully the problem was caused internally on a test install run and we haven’t shipped any CD's with the shared attribute set.

Thanks for the reply’s.

regards

Toby