PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 4.0

tomavery
11-26-2002, 11:04 AM
The following is not working in my installations even though I am logged in as domain admin.

add a registry key, error 2109

create an ini, just doesnt

install my files, just doesnt, doesnt even create my new subdir.

add an environment variable. it doesnt

Show the company picture in the demoshield browser thing.

any ideas.

Chandima
11-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Are these runtime issues or problems you see while using Express itself? Is this an upgraded project or one newly created in Express 4.0?

tomavery
11-26-2002, 11:40 AM
This a new test installation I was doing.

Fresh install from this morning.

The installation acts like it is doing nothing except for the screens.

The installation is being run from a cd with the browser thing attached to the autorun.inf autorun.exe

Is there a setting that says just make a test setup to cd and not a real one?

Chandima
11-26-2002, 11:50 AM
There is no such setting. This is strange. Are you setting any of the features' "Remote Installation" property to "Favor Source"? Just for a test, what happens if you create a new project that just installs one file? Does it work?

tomavery
11-26-2002, 12:16 PM
I made a new one and it moves one file.

I am going to try a registration change

tomavery
11-26-2002, 12:28 PM
That works.,.. hmmm let me try the browser thing now.

Chandima
11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
If all this works it could be that something is set incorrectly with your previous project. Please send me the ism that does not work to chandimar@installshield.com and I'll see if I can fix it and save you some time. Thanks!

tomavery
11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
I dont see an ISM can I send you an ISE?

Chandima
11-26-2002, 05:07 PM
Sorry, that's what I meant :).

Alain MARTIN-RA
11-27-2002, 04:59 AM
It seems that I have similar problems with an installation prepared with IE 3.53 and now no shortcut appears on desktop which allows to finish installation.
With IE 3.53, during the first part of installation, no files were installed in the program files directory, but an icon of my application was installed on desktop. Then, clicking on this shortcut allowed to finish installation (only a Windows Installer sequence). Perhaps, this configuration was always not correct, but finally, my application was installed.
Thank you for help, because I have no more solution, except to come back to IE3.53:confused:

Chandima
11-27-2002, 10:45 AM
I recomend staying with Express 4.0. If I understand correctly, you are saying that you are doing an advertised install. To make sure we are talking about the same thing, try the following:

1. Create a new project (in 4.0)
2. Add a Feature
3. Set this feature's "Adevrtised" property to "Favor Advertise"
4. Go to Files View
5. Add files ONLY to this new feature
6. Go to Shortcuts View
7. Create an Advertised Shortcut to an Exe you added to the feature
8. Build and Install

This should install only the shortcut on the machine. No files will be copied. Now when you launch the shortcut, it will copy all the files to the machine. Is this the behavior you want?

Alain MARTIN-RA
11-27-2002, 11:29 AM
My problem is the behaviour of my installation is as your description. But it is not my aim to perform such an installation and I will prefer to have a standard installation.
Thank you to explain where is my error !

Alain:confused:

Chandima
11-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Go to the Features View. Select each feature and make sure it's "Advertised" property is set to either "Allow Advetise" or "Dissallow Advertise". Build and install. Let me know if this works or not.

Alain MARTIN-RA
11-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Thank you for your help, it works !!!

Alain:)