PDA

View Full Version : Download msi file as upgrade, not exe

neildavidson
11-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Is there anyway to use a .msi file as an update file rather than a .msp or a .exe file?

Chris Woerner
11-25-2002, 01:04 PM
No, the Update Service cannot take a direct MSI. The Update Service supports EXE, MSP and Professional OCI installations. Is there a reason that you don't want to wrap the MSI into a setup.exe?

neildavidson
11-25-2002, 01:37 PM
It's a bit of extra work, and repairing / modifying installs from .exe files doesn't always seem to work (it asks for the .msi file)

leykun
11-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Which product are you using to create your setups?
What kinds of repairing / modifying problems are you running into? Perhaps I can help you with this..

We encourage the use of setup.exe (the MSI wrapped into setup.exe ) to avoid problems where the target machine does not have the correct version of Windows installer engine or any version at all. Setup.exe takes care of this problem.

Regards,
Leykun M.
InstallShield Technical Support

neildavidson
11-26-2002, 05:34 AM
The problem with including the windows installer is that the installer 2.0 can, in a significan minority of cases, completely ruin the end user's computer, requiring a re-install of the operating system. I know this is Microsoft's problem, not InstallShield's, but we prefer not to include the installer.

I think the repair issue was fixed by selecting the 'cache web download' option.

leykun
11-27-2002, 03:19 PM
Thank you for getting back to me.
Hmm.. I am not aware of the issue.

How do you handle situations where the Windows Installer engine is not installed on the target machine?

Leykun M.

neildavidson
11-27-2002, 04:46 PM
If we are targeting version 1.2, then we include it in the setup (since this works fine).

Our installs which require version 2.0 are targetted at developers who will already have the .NET framework (and hence version 2 of the installer) already installed, so we just distribute the msi file.

We'd love to be able to include the 2.0 installer, but it's just too dangerous for us. We'd rather people blamed Microsoft directly if they hose their machines by installing it, rather than blaming us.

When we tried including the 2.0 installer, it broke people's machines in about 1% of cases. When you're talking about tens of thousands of downloads this is a significant number.

leykun
12-02-2002, 08:34 PM
You could elect to exclude the MSI engine from the setup.exe.
To do this in IS Developer, just select the "Do not install Windows Installer Engine" option from Setup launcher dialog in the release wizard (see attachment).

In IS Express, set the "Include MSI engine(s)" to "None". This property is located in the Build your release view.

Best regards,
Leykun M.