PDA

View Full Version : Update, No Longer Uninstall?

mkennedy
11-23-2002, 01:11 AM
Hi,

I noticed that the new version of ISX builds installs which ask the question "Do you want to upgrade PRODUCT?" when you run it with an older one installed.

This on the surface seems very nice. But I then found out that the older files and shortcuts are still there. Moreover, new shortcuts seem to show up strange. For example, in the old install there was a shortcut to an Exe with the shortcut text "Settings", the new one with the shortcut text "Adjust Default Settings" doesn't show up and the old shortcut is still there!

This is terrible. To exacerbate the situation, I cannot find a way to make the behavior return to forcing the users to uninstall the current version before continuing.

So my question is:

How can I make the new ISX installs *not* upgrade, but force a uninstall / reinstall or at least uninstall the older one first?

Please help as this is a critical problem for us.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Kennedy
United Binary, LLC - Unit Testing for .NET
http://www.unitedbinary.com

Chandima
11-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Are you using an Upgrade Path? If so , what are it's settings?

mkennedy
11-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Hi,

No, this is exactly what I'm doing:

1. Install software X built with InstallShield Express 3.54.
2. Open the install project X.ism file.
3. ISX 4 asks "do you want to convert X.ism to the 4.0 format?"
4. Check yes.
5. Build the install in ISX 4.0.
6. Run the install built in ISX 4.0.
7. The install asks "Do you want to upgrade X?" or something very similar

The previous behavior was the blocking message "There is another version of X installed. Please remove it using Add/Remove...".

How do I get this back?

Thanks,
Michael

mkennedy
11-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi Chandima,

Any ideas on this? Can you reproduce it? This happens for all my applications built with ISX 3.54. Since the "upgrade" doesn't work right, I *cannot* use ISX 4 for any of our software.

Please help.
Michael

Chandima
11-26-2002, 11:55 AM
I was able to reproduce this yesterday and I submitted it to development. Our lead programmer said he was going to look at it today. It should be a fairly simple fix because it's some property that Express uses internally thats getting set incorrectly. Will let you know as soon as we find out what's going on.

mkennedy
11-26-2002, 12:00 PM
Chandima,

Thank you! Please keep me posted.

Regards,
Michael

Chandima
11-26-2002, 12:15 PM
OK we found what the problem is. It's one property in ism file (like I assumed). This property was not in Express 3.54 so it get's added with a value of 1 during upgrade. It's set to 0 in new projects. We are currently working on a fix for this. Please send me your ism to chandimar@installshield.com and I'll make this quickchange so that you can get on with your work. Thanks!

mkennedy
12-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Hi Chandima,

That got our installs working the way the used to. Thanks!

Any time line on when that quick patch will be out?

Thanks,
Michael

Chandima
12-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Hopefully sometime next week. We are really busy right now putting the German and Japanese versions of Express 4.0 together and are a little thin on resources. Definitely sometime next week though. Sorry!