PDA

View Full Version : System software requirements

ncollet
11-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I have just install new version and I would known that it's possible with system software requirements to detect presence of registry key for a specific OS (Only for Win 98) ?

Thanks for your answers.

Nicolas COLLET

Chandima
11-20-2002, 04:12 PM
This is not directly supported but you could mix them. Do you want to use this for a feature or a custom action? If so create a system search that looks for this registry entry. Then in the Conditions dialog (in Feature or Custom Action property grid) you can select the OS tab and select Win98. This will perform the search in registry on all operating systems, but will run the custom action only if it is a Windows 98 machine.

ncollet
11-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Ok, in fact, it's to resolved the problem of installation of Update Y2K patch in Windows 98 before install mdac modules.

It's necessary to detect before installation of mdac because mdac needs the Y2K update in Windows 98 first edition.

So I create a new system software requirements but I don't known how retrieve the return value of search registry with a custom action ?

Best regards
Nicolas COLLET

Chandima
11-20-2002, 04:53 PM
Is there any particular reason you don't want to use the MDAC merge module instead? It performs all these system requirement checks...

ncollet
11-20-2002, 05:04 PM
Excuse me for my bad english.

So I used MDAC merges modules and when I try to install in windows 98 first edition with no y2k update installed, I have an error message which says to install the y2k update before install MDAC. After this message it's not possible to continue installation of my application.

Do you have understand my problem or not ?

Thanks to your help.

Nicolas COLLET

Chandima
11-20-2002, 05:11 PM
The Y2K update is specified as a requirement for MDAC 26. Do you want to remove that requirement? If so let me know because I can send you a module that does NOT do this check. You can email me at chandimar@installshield.com for this.

ncollet
11-20-2002, 05:21 PM
If MDAC have this requirements it's perhaps necessary to use normally components of MDAC.
In fact, I install MDAC because my application have a ACCESS XP database.

But I don't know if I had problem if I install MDAC without Y2K update ?

Do you have information for this ?

Thanks
Nicolas COLLET

Chandima
11-20-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm afraid not. The only information I have is that it's requirement but nothing beyond that. The MDAC 2.6 release manifest is where this is all specified.

http://www.microsoft.com/data/MDAC26Info/readmerefresh.htm

ncollet
11-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Ok.
So I must find a solution to detect if Windows 98 y2k update it's installed and else I must install it in quiet install.

I come to see in Custom Actions, it's possible to add conditions with conditions builders. And the condition builders permit to select an OS and a system software requirements. So It's possible for a system software requirements don't show message text when the requirement condition is bad.
If it's possible, I can try in EXE to install y2k update in quiet mod.

Thanks
Nicolas COLLET

Chandima
11-21-2002, 11:30 AM
I have a workaround for you. Renamed the attached txt file to ini and copy it to the "Search" folder under the "Express" folder. Now launch Express, and go to Requirements View. You should see a new default search named "Y2K Update". Set this search to the green check state, add a file, build and run. It will give a message if the Y2K update is not installed.

So now instead of using it in the Requirements view, you can create an exe Custom Action that launches the Y2K update. For it's condition property, select just Win98 (or 95) and set the "Y2K Update" condition to the red crosss icons. This should make the exe launch only if it's Win98 machine that does not have the Y2K update installed. To make testing easier make the custom action launch Notepad.exe (otherwise you will have to re-ghost everytime it works).

ncollet
11-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks a lot !

I will try to test it tomorrow. But I think that I should be succesful to solve my problem.

So I test it tomorrow and I report here my conclusion.

Best regards.

Nicolas COLLET

lonceah
11-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Chandima

Can you amend your Y2KUpdate.ini file to point to the attached ITargetSysReqW95Y2K.txt (rename to *.htm) instead of the ITargetSysReqMDAC.htm file under the programs\0409 directory.

Chandima
11-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Thanks for that htm. The updated file is attached. All I had to do update the ini as follows:

[ExpressCondition0409]
Name=Y2K Update
Condition=Y2KFOUND=""
HelpFile=ITargetSysReqW95Y2K.htm
Message=The Y2K Update was not found.