PDA

View Full Version : CHM Help Files

powerman
11-14-2002, 06:55 PM
I wrote a program in visual basic that opens the CHM help file right fom the program. I use the hhtctrl.ocx and that uses hh.exe to open the help file. My question is how do I set up the install package to allow the help files to open? After the installation I get this error when I try to open a CHM help file:

Cannot open the file : mk:@MSITStore:"file name".

I get this error even when opening the help file outside the program by double clicking on it. It seems that the dlls are not set up right. Does any have any suggestions? I can post my souce code to open the help file if you need it. I am pretty sure the install program just not setting up the dlls correctly though. After uninstalling the program the chm help files open normally. I use an API function to get the function to open the help file from hhctrl.ocx. I also used the visual basic import wizard to get the needed dlls and dependencies. Please respond if you can help. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks for any help in advance.

johnhind
11-15-2002, 06:06 AM
I have a VB program that uses the html help system. All I have to do is create a custom action that runs "hhupd.exe" to make sure that the help system is on the users pc.

note that I don't use the ocx you refer to.

John

Chandima
11-15-2002, 04:41 PM
Yes the safest way to do this is to run hhupd.exe as a custom action. Do NOT install that ocx file as part of your setup! If you install the ocx by itself on a Win2K machine, all help files may stop working.