PDA

View Full Version : Next major update

OCSSCOTT
11-13-2002, 03:16 PM
Can you inform us of the aprox. schedule for any major update to this service and possibly what new features are in the works?

Also my company has not purchased this yet but are looking into it. What I really want is to write a vb or vb.net app that sits in the system tray and talks to your server to get a list of updates for several projects. ie we have 4 seperate products and want to be able to control the updates for any or all much like the microsoft update page show any needed updates and lets you select the ones you want. Is this possible?

thanks alot

Scott Scheuerman

Chris Woerner
11-13-2002, 03:42 PM
Scott,

I don't want to talk too much about future plans on an open community, but we will be bringing several very exciting new features to market next year. The nice thing is that alll current customers will get immediate access to the new features. That's one of benefits of a service.

Having said that, what you describe is certainly possible with the current release of the Update Service. You could create a small system tray application that lists your projects and shows when they have updates available. The system tray application would make periodic (daily) programmatic checks for updates. If found, you let the user know. If not, the user wouldn't know that the check was done.

I will say that next year we plan to provide that type of applicaiton as part as part of the Update Service. It will list all applications on the PC that are Update Service enabled and display which ones have updates available. For some companies, this may eliminate the need to integrate the Update Service into their application. End-users will get notified of available updates via this tool.

OCSSCOTT
11-13-2002, 03:51 PM
do you have any simple vb or vb.net samples to show this kind of functionality? I am doing a proof of concept and saving coding time would be great.

Also if in a private email you could tell us a little more of what is comming it may help sell our managment on this product.

we currently own developer and profesilan and admin studio so we are a I.S Shop. my email is

sscheuer@MONY.com

thanks