PDA

View Full Version : Updating Installshield!

matt_mcneill
11-08-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure whether this is the best place to ask this question, but it seems like the most obvious place to start.

I have recently bought Installshield Developer 8, and I want to get the online updates for it. However every link on the site points to the update service website (updates.installshield.com) and this site is not accessible to me.

Is this because I am behind a my corporate firewall? If the answer is yes, then where can I configure proxies etc so that I can access the site?

(If the answer is that I have to get certain ports opened in the firewall, then it's a non-starter. The admins are protected by a vast array of red-tape and intransigence. I have tried that before. No go.)

I don't want to have to resort to downloading several hundred MB down a 56k modem.

P.S. I have no problems with the MS Windows Update site.

Chris Woerner
11-08-2002, 06:48 PM
It shouldn't be a firewall issue. The Update Service uses standard HTTP port 80 for all Internet traffic.

Couple of questions for you to help figure out the problem....

1. If you cut and paste the server name for the Update Service server (updates.installshield.com) into a browser, do you get redirected to: http://www.installshield.com/isus/?

2. What is your default browser?

matt_mcneill
11-11-2002, 05:32 AM
Chris,

I am using IE 6.0.2... SP1 as my browser and when I enter that url into my browser, I do indeed get redirected to

http://www.installshield.com/isus

I assume that is because I am in the UK? Do you have any tips as to what I might do to work around this?

Thanks,

Matt

Chris Woerner
11-11-2002, 11:21 AM
If your browser can access the Update Service site (as it did), then the Update Service should have no problems with any firewall issues.

In your first post, you described the problem as follows...

"the update service website (updates.installshield.com) and this site is not accessible to me"

Can you please elaborate on that? What happen when you use the menu choice in the IDE to check for updates? You should see....

1. A dialog appears saying "checking for updates..."
2. A browser appears with the ISUS page open to the welcome screen
3. when you click "show updates", another page appears with your list of updates.

Please let me know what you are seeing. Where does this process break down?

matt_mcneill
11-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Chris,

I have tried the update again. These are the steps I took:

1) Start->Programs->Installshield->Developer
2) Selected from the menu Tools->Check for updates...
3) A dialogue appears saying: "Update Service is searching for any available updates for your application"
4) A dialogue then appears on top of this one saying:
"An Internet communication error occurred"
"An Internet connection is needed to view your updates. Click Retry after connecting to the Internet"

I am running Windows 2000 SP3, 850Mhz, 18GbHDD, 392Mb RAM.

I have several dialup connections configured as well as the docking station LAN connection. Obviously only the LAN connection is connected when in work.

The updates site has worked properly over the modem, but due to the size of the download this is more tantalizing and frustrating than useful :-)

Thanks,

Matt

PeterDrew
05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm having this same problem and have posted on here previously without getting an answer.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Peter

matt_mcneill
05-02-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm having this same problem and have posted on here previously without getting an answer.

Anyone have any further ideas?

Peter

I never got this sorted - I'm running it on a MS Virtual PC now and still have the same problem behind the works firewall.

PeterDrew
05-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I never got this sorted - I'm running it on a MS Virtual PC now and still have the same problem behind the works firewall.

After a lot of hair being torn out - we solved the problem.

The issue at our site was that we are using Proxy Server with ISA 2000.

The application filter was the problem - "HTTP Redirector Filter" was enabled. This prevents programs from directly accessing the internet - forcing all such requests to be redirected through the proxy server. We disabled it and were able to successfully download updates.

Please note - disabling such a filter is a bad idea because of the potential for Viruses and other malicious programs to use your computer to circumvent your ISA protection. So we've left the redirector filter enabled but have excluded the IP address of the PC that we need to update.

What bugs me is that there has been no support provided on this issue from Macrovision. I'm no expert in installshield - still fairly new to it, but this experience has encouraged me to move to looking at other ways to distribute our product. The current release is stuck with Installshield - but when we move to DOT NET we'll definitely be using some other method of distribution.

KellyF
05-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Peter,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that our support has failed in its attempts to help you. Could you please send me a Private Message with the trouble ticket number you received from our support staff? While it's obviously too late to assist you, we could dig into the system to see where we went wrong.

Also, could you let me know whether you submitted it via the web or phone?

Regards,
Kelly

PeterDrew
05-11-2006, 11:26 PM
"What bugs me is that there has been no support provided on this issue from Macrovision."

That was purely a reference to these forums - I have no ticket number. As an Australian user - when I call, I generally get to talk with a reseller who then logs an issue with a support email address. The time difference is problematic.

I rang the reseller back in November - don't ask me to remember who it was that I spoke with. They really weren't able to get me an answer on this problem and I was focused on some other issues at the time.

Although I did take the time back then to log the issue on this community forum board.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=154278

Two other users tried to suggest some possible answers - but nothing concrete and noone from Macrovision happened across my dilema on here.

Finding this thread recently - with a similar issue dating back to 2002 was disheartening. Part of my role is in support so I understand the difficulties - I'm not mad - just disappointed.

On reflection we had an earlier problem when we uninstalled a computer using a license and then reinstalled Installshield on another computer - uninstalling the first computer failed to free the license automatically and it talk a call to the reseller, who emailed america who got back to us 48 hours later. I would guess that it is from the same cause.

-Peter

KellyF
05-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Peter. I'm going to PM you and then reply here for all afterwards.

Regards,
Kelly