PDA

View Full Version : Version Issue

Infohos
11-05-2002, 10:53 AM
I have used IS Dev 8 Eval to create a new setup with the Product Version set to 1.00.0001.
On the property pages of Update Service I choose to enable the ISUS. The value of "Is Product/Version Registered?" is "no", so I click the ellipsis to have my product registered with ISUS.
On the first page of the ISUS website my product is detected as version 1.00 and not as 1.00.0001.

Is this normal? I'm trying to have a first version 1.00.0001 and then make several sequential patches which update only the last portion of the version number, but I seem to get in trouble due to the missing number from the initial registration.

Thanks!

Chris Woerner
11-05-2002, 04:45 PM
This is probably the most common question we get.

What you experienced is the default behavior. It is based on Microsoft's version standard of using major.minor.build. That standard assumes that your major.minor changes during a normal release cycle.

Of course, you are free to use any version scheme you want. To override this default behavior, you need to set the property called "Use Default Product Version". If you highlight that property in the ISUS property sheet, you will see an entry field in the property help section of the screen. If you enter a value there "1.00.001", the Update Service will use that value for the version string. Just be sure to update it with each release.