PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented methods

txbueller
10-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Using the object browser in VB6 to look at DWUpdateServiceLib I see a number of apparently undocumented methods and events such as AppUpdate(), AppView(), CanConnect(), OnUpdateBegin, and OnUpdateComplete just to name a few.

Are these documented somewhere? I can't find them in the help supplied with the ISUS SDK.

Chris Woerner
10-30-2002, 01:23 PM
AppUpdate() is definately documented. It is our recommended method of calling the Update Service. If you have our current SDK and can't find this topic, please let me know.

The others are used internally by the Agent. For example, OnUpdateBegin is used if you are running the Update Service completely silently to send your application when the update begins. It returns an event back to the calling application. This isn't something that you should ever need to call.

If you describe the end-user experience you want to create for your users, I would be happy to recommend which functions to use.

txbueller
10-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Chris.

I've got a couple of windows services that do not interact with the desktop. I want to silently check for NextUse messages and if present, apply the update then stop and restart the services. I think the documented functions are sufficent. I'd welcome any suggestions.

BTW Why aren't those other methods (I mistyped when I mentioned AppUpdate) documented? They look useful. Is there something potentialy dangerous about their use? Frankly, I'd like documented access to the same level of control that the Agent uses.

Chris Woerner
10-30-2002, 02:41 PM
If you want to run things silently, you need to use AutoUpdate(), but I'm sure you already know that.

In response to your request, I am going to look at all our undocumented methods. Maybe our developers are hiding some things that would be good to expose.

Thanks for your posting.