PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer tries to re-install

Juanito
10-21-2002, 04:30 AM
After installing our application developed in Visual Basic in some of our customers they want to change the name of icons or include new subdirectories, change .exe files to include other features...and some other things like that.

Then Windows Installer tries to re-install the application (I Imagine that is for restoring it as the original).

How can we avoid this and leave customers do this kind of things?

Thank you in advance.

Juan

swilliams
10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Windows installer will attempt to restore any files that are marked as key files when a modification takes place. If you want to avoid the problem and the files are not critical to execution then don't mark those files as key files.

I can't recommend how you would do this under IS express as I'm only familiar with Developer.

Hope this helps.

Scott Williams

Juanito
10-25-2002, 01:39 AM
Can I mark some files as not key files using InstallShield Express 3.03 in order to avoid Windows Installer to re-install those files changed.

Thank you in advance.

Juan

Chandima
11-13-2002, 02:42 PM
I'm afraid not. You need InstallShield Developer to be able to control KeyFiles. Express 3.54 has a mechanism that allows you to do this but it's not straightforward. You can set all files with extensions you specify as key files.