PDA

View Full Version : Warning -3028

isgooner
10-16-2002, 08:33 AM
I'm using Install Shield Express 3.54.
I have a setup that when I change the Screen Resolution requirements from "Any Resolution" to "800 x 600", I get the following warning at build stage:
Warning: -3028: The string ID "IDPROP_EXPRESS_LAUNCH_CONDITION_SCREEN" was not found in the string table. It is referenced in the table:"LaunchCondition" in column:"Description".

Can someone explain what the problem is.

Thanks

Chandima
11-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Do you still have this problem?

isgooner
11-14-2002, 02:02 AM
This error doesn't always occur.
I meanwhile bypassed it by exporting the String Table and fixing the problem before importing back the string table.

Unfortunately, I have found since upgrading from 3.53 to 3.54 a lot of annoying bugs like the above.

Could you also please tell me the status of the email sent by rpotash on 6th Nov regarding the incorrect shortcut being displayed.
Your reply was:
>This is a known issue and caused by the Windows Installer not >being able to tell the difference between two locations. This has >been fixed in Express 4.0 (so that it behaves like in 3.53). In >the meatime send both ism file's to chandimar@installshield.com >and I will fix this for you.

I have encountered the same problem in several of my setup projects. I think it's unfair to expect me to wait for a new edition of Express (which I'll have to pay for to upgrade), just in order to have a fix for this bug. I don't think it's practical that each time I encounter the problem, I send you the ism for it to be fixed.

I would also like to thank you on all the great help you give through the newsgroups to the InstallShield Community.
I think a lot of software companies can learn from IS that giving software doesn't always mean the customer has to fork out more cash.

Thanks.

Chandima
11-14-2002, 12:17 PM
I just fixed rpotash's projects and sent them back to him. The problem here is NOT an InstallShield problem. Let me try and explain how shortcut icons work.

When you create a shortcut and install it on a machine, this icon is stored in as Newshortcut1.exe in C:\Windows\Installer\GUID. If you look on these machines, these NewShortcut1.exe files have the icon you specified. This means Express builds properly. It's up to Windows or Windows Installer to associate this icon from this location with the shortcut. So when you have two different setups on the same machine, you will have two different NewShortcut1.exe files in two sepaprate locations in C:\Windows\Installer. For some reason, because both filenames are the same, Windows or Windows Installer can't tell the difference (even though both files are in distinct locations).

So the workaround is to give the shortcut icons unique names. So this is not a bug with Express that we are fixing. We are implementing a workaround to a bug with either Windows or Windows Installer.

In the meantime feel free to send me your projects to fix. Number is not a problem. My email is chandimar@installshield.com.