PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall Problem...

JoeScheve
10-07-2002, 10:30 AM
Hello. I recently began using AdminStudio 3.5 to repackage software for installalation on Windows 2000. I have been using WinInstall LE for the past 2 years and was finnaly able to get my manager to buy a better product. My problem is that I have created a new software package and when I install it on a machine at first it seems okay. But if you login as someone else the machine will lock. Then if you uninstall the application the machine you get all kinds of memory errors and then when the machine is rebooted it will blue screen at startup saying that the RDR_FILE_SYSTEM caused the problem. This is only with MSI packages created with AdminStudio. I have packaged the same software with WinInstall LE and it works great. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Additional info:
Application: IBM Client Access Express 5.1

praveenl
10-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Did you use Snapshot or InstallMonitor method to repackage your application? Make sure you repackage if on a clean machine. Looks like the repackaging may have caught some windows protected files! If you know the repackaging has captured such files or any other registry entries and not relevant to your legacy app, then you may want to exclude them while repackaging and see if that helps!

JoeScheve
10-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Well you were right about it grabing some stuff in the registry that it wasn't suppose to :rolleyes: But I have another question.

The install works fine and the uninstall works as well but it doesn't remove the dll's under system32 like it should. How can I have it so when it is uninstalled those files are deleted?

Oh and I used snapshot.

praveenl
10-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Their's an option in the Advanced Conversion Options panel of the Legacy Conversion Wizard to turn off "Mark components destined for the system folder as permanent....". This will reset appropriate information in the attributes column in the component table of your MSI. That should fix it.

JoeScheve
10-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Schweeeet Thanks! :)

BCM4309
03-17-2003, 10:53 AM
Joe,

What was captured that should'nt have been? I'm running into the same issue. I used both Install Monitor and Snapshot and experienced the same result with the RDR_FILE_SYSTEM issue.

Grrr,

Bryan