PDA

View Full Version : Product Not Registered

naturalgas
09-24-2002, 05:38 PM
hey everyone,

i am getting an error message when some of my users attempt to launch my application. (note: before my application launches, it runs the update service to see if any updates are available)

on some machines i am getting the following error:

Error occurred when updating: The Update service does not recognize this product. Please contact your software vendor for updates to this product. Error 13000: Product not registered with the Agent.objAgent.HasMessages(strProductCode)

Now, one would think this is an obvious problem, I forgot to register the product GUID with the update service so the service doesnt know how to respond. Right? Well, no. Actually, all my users are downloading the same application and a very small % are getting this error. The product is definately registered with the service. ANd the GUID matches the one that is registered. Why would some users have this problem and others not? Any ideas?
I have attached a screengrab,

Cheers
-Kenny

Chris Woerner
09-25-2002, 07:58 PM
Product not registered with the Agent means the Agent didn't even try to call the Update Service server. It could be caused by a couple of things...

1. It can mean that something went wrong during the installation. During installation, the install should register your product code with the Update Service Agent on the end-users machine. To check for this ask the user to look at the file....

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database\{your product GUID}.ini

That gets created during installation. Is it possible that your installation can branch and skip some of the setup based on user choices?

2. The Update Service Agent can't find the product version. It reads this from the registry where the add/remove program information is written.

Feel free to get in contact w/ our support group on this issue. They will help you track this down. No charge, of course.

Sorry for the problems.