PDA

View Full Version : AgentUpdate.exe Abnormal Program Termination

naturalgas
09-17-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi, when a user who is behind a strict firewall open my appplications, the attached ollowing Visual C++runtime occurs.
Any ideas?

Runtime Error!

Program...\Profiles\damain\Loca~1\Temp\pft2A.tmp\AgentUpdate.exe

abnormal program termination

Its a very ugly message if the only issue is a firewall.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
-Kenny

Chris Woerner
09-20-2002, 06:34 PM
I don't think this is a firewall issue.

When your application starts, if the Update Service cannot get to the Update Service server, it ends silently. Also, the Update Service only uses the standard HTTP port 80. If the firewall allows normal web browsing, the Update Service should be OK.

I am more inclined to think this issue is related to permissions. Does the user have admin rights on the machine? It looks like one of our EXEs could not write to a location it needs (ProgramFiles directory).

To verify this, have your user open explorer. Go to the program files directory. Try to add a new text file.

Chris Woerner
09-20-2002, 06:35 PM
One other note... whatever the problem is here, we should not be ending with that error message. If the problem is rights, we should be doing a better job at checking for required rights before trying to run.

naturalgas
09-20-2002, 06:44 PM
i dont think its a permissions thing either. but i could be wrong.

the person installed our software in the default location (C:\program files\arkadium) and had no problems doing so.

any other suggestions?

-kenny