PDA

View Full Version : dll disappearing

timd_psst
08-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Hello

I've got an issue with a dll disappearing when a program is being upgraded using installshield express V3.53. Here is a description of the issue:

One of my coworkers created a build for the program which uses MDAC, we use ADO for DB access. We had been using MDAC 2.5 for distribution. Unintentionaly MDAC 2.6 got installed on his machine and "somehow" msdart.dll got included in the scanned project files under files and features in installshield express for this project. This did not present a problem at the time with the install package. According to Microsoft's dll help DB msdart.dll is only included with MDAC 2.6 and 2.7.

We have updated the program and are trying to build the new installshield package. This is only a minor update that does not include any new dlls or files, it just updates the program exe. When we build the install package all goes along just great, and if you install it on a machine that does not have the program on it all goes fine and the program works great.

The problem is if the machine has the program on it and it needs to be updated. The install package runs just fine and there are no errors that appear, the exe file is updated as it should be. But msdart.dll,which was on the machine from the previous install of our program, is now missing from the machine, and the program gives an error about activex object can't be created when it does some ADO calls. If you run the repair option for our progarm on add/remove programs; msdart.dll is put back on the machine and the program works great.

I've tried everything I can think of, from removing msdart.dll in the install package, to updating our program and the install package to use MDAC 2.6 and nothing fixes this issue.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Chandima
08-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Are using an Upgrade Path to perform this update? If so there is a small bug in the Windows Installer I stumbled across a while ago. In your new setup, you are distributing this file right? If so, have you set it's "Never-Overwrite" option? If so this could be the problem because at the beginning of the install Windows Installer decides not to install this file, but then when uninstalling the previous setup it removes it. What happens if you change this file's propery to Permanent?