PDA

View Full Version : Extremely wierd shortcut icon problem

ctucker
08-05-2002, 12:33 AM
I changed my program's icon file, gave it a new name, replaced the old icon file name with the new one in the three places in InstallShield that had the original name and then rebuilt my CDROM installation. HOWEVER, when I install I get the old icon back?

How can it do this when the old icon file doesn't exist anymore?

Furthermore, when I go to the shortcut's Properties and click on "Change Icon" my new icon immediately pops up. I click on OK and the shortcut's Properties window shows the new icon. BUT, when I click on Apply I immediately get an error message saying that the program location specified in the Target Box is invalid.

BUT the location is the same one associated with the old icon, and it IS the program that I installed.

This must be something unique to this particular computer, as I installed on another computer with no difficulty. Perhaps there is some residual stuff in the Registry?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chandima
08-05-2002, 11:11 AM
I think I know what MIGHT be going on. This is probably the Windows Installer acting wierd. Try the following.

1. Uninstall your setup
2. On the target machine, browse to C:\Winnt\Installer (or C:\WIndows\Installer)
3. There will be a few folders in here with named like "{BBA2E5E9-A4CB-11D6-A8F7-00B0D0419B9B}"
4. Look in each one and see if you find a folder containing the icon you specified for your application. This could be either the newer or older application.
5. Delete this folder
6. Run your setup again and look at the icon.

Let me know if this fixes the problem. Also, are you installing to the All Users profile or to one specific profile? Are you installing with Admin priviledges?

ctucker
08-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help. The proper icon now appears on the desktop.

GregDyne
08-06-2002, 02:18 AM
I get similar behaviour when installing VB6 applications. I have created setups for two different programs, with different icons.

On a clean Win98 SE PC, the first program installs with it's icon (ICON1) for the desktop correctly. On installation of the second program, the desktop shortcut has the same icon as the first (ICON1 and not ICON2). If the order of the installations is reversed Program2 before Program1, they both have ICON2.

The properties of the shortcuts refer to NewShortcut1.exe in product id folders in c:\Windows\Installer. These are correct.

I can change the icon on the desktop (to c:\program files\program1.exe) but this is not retained until I delete newshortcut1.exe.

Chandima
08-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Could you send me your two ism projects? I would like to make a small change and give these shortcut files unique names and see what happens. Please send the projects to chandimar@installshield.com. Thanks!

ctucker
08-07-2002, 01:50 PM
I don't know if you are referring to Greg's problems or mine, but I think we're dealing with the same problem. Please also refer to my more recent post:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100237

I still have the problem of retaining the older shortcut icon in the Program Files folder, but the new icon appears on the desktop.:confused:

Chandima
08-08-2002, 11:03 AM
Greg sent me his projects and I made some changes and am awaiting to hear his results. I'll keep you updated as to what we find.

dthompsn
08-27-2002, 05:31 PM
I'm seeing the exact same problem here with two installs. We've got two director projects that we are installing and creating shortcuts for on the desktop and in the Program Menu. It appears that which ever icon is displaying is displaying on both install's shortcuts. This is really going to have an impact on our installs. We have two similar products from different companies that is going to make explanations very difficult. I've been trying to look down at the %System Root%Installer folder to see if I can explain what's going on--but nothing seems to fix the problem. These were very simple installations to build--but the icons are a show stopper.

Chandima
08-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Please send me BOTH ism files and I'll do what I did earlier (which seemed to fix the problem). My email is chandimar@installshield.com. Thanks!