PDA

View Full Version : Multiple custom dialogs

jmorgret
07-31-2002, 03:31 PM
I needed to add a custom dialog and I found KB article Q105829 which supposedly gives directions how. I followed the instructions in this article and the custom dialog I created worked just fine. Now I want to add another custom dialog so I just right click on Dialogs and say New Dialog, then pick New script based dialog. The second custom dialog seems to be linked to the first one. Even if I change the control names and ID in the second dialog it grabs the text from the first dialog.

So am I doing this wrong? Is this the expected behaviour? Should I just make new controls in my second dialog?

I used to create custom dialogs all the time in IS 5.5 and 6 using the C++ editor. That was a really pain but at least I knew how do to it. Doesn't look like they made things much easier.

Thanks,
Jennifer

luke_s
08-01-2002, 02:20 AM
Shouldn't you be able to just add a new dialog? All I do is just add a new dialog and customize it accordingly.

What did you mean by "The second custom dialog seems to be linked to the first one.". Can't you just change the text on the second dialog?

Duncan
08-01-2002, 09:18 AM
When you use this template dialog, please note that it originally contains a few controls already set on it. For instance, you have a pushbutton "ControlId_12", which text is "< &Back".
And the point is that this text is a string defined in the String Table: "IDS__NewDialog_ControlId_12".

When you create a second dialog with the same template, its controls have the same properties, including the name (this is possible since a control is defined by its name AND the window it is set on). If you want to have specific windows, you have to set different strings to it...

This is if the problem is that this "link" you're talking about is about labels... otherwise, please be more specific about how you use it, and what your problem seem to be.

Regards,