PDA

View Full Version : Deferred Custom Actions

laniquity
07-31-2002, 02:01 PM
I have created several CustomAction s that need be run in sequence. They are part of a basic MSI project. and are both set as deferred actions that wait for return. The problem is that the first CA will kick off and as it is starting the second CA starts.

Any ideas??

tia
mark

RobertDickau
08-01-2002, 02:00 PM
What types of action are they: launching EXEs, calling DLL functions, ...?

laniquity
08-01-2002, 02:15 PM
They both launch exe files. The first is an actuall application the second in an installshield for a third party product.

RobertDickau
08-01-2002, 02:26 PM
To get an InstallShield 5.x Setup.exe to wait for completion before returning, pass it the /SMS argument.

(The long version is, the InstallShield 5 Setup.exe would determine if it was running on a 16-bit or 32-bit system, then launch the appropriate engine, then exit. The /SMS argument convinces Setup.exe to stick around.)

laniquity
08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
okay so if I pass it the /SMS argument to the setup.exe that means that the application will not start until the prior application has finished running?

If so then how do I pass the /SMS argument to the application

RobertDickau
08-01-2002, 02:40 PM
Yes, the /SMS argument causes an InstallShield 5 Setup.exe to wait before returning. Add /SMS to the argument field of whatever type of custom action you're using...

P.S. InstallShield 6 and later Setup.exe automatically waits for completion before exiting, so it's not necessary to add /SMS for those.

laniquity
08-01-2002, 03:45 PM
Ok that didn't seem to work either. I am using IS 7.02 to write my installer. The first CA runs an exe that launches an application that enables the user to complete the install of their server. The second CA is a 5.x Installer that should only run after the first CA has been closed completely.

However, the Installer that I have written immediately launches both exe's at the same time.

Any ideas?

RobertDickau
08-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Oh, that's a separate issue, then; without knowing more about the first EXE (launched by the first custom action), I couldn't guess why it isn't waiting...

laniquity
08-01-2002, 04:04 PM
it launches Lotus Notes and provides a form for the user to fill out which on submit will create a server for the user.

I thought that the installer would just hook into the spawned application and wait till the process ended before continuing. But apparently that is not the case.

mark

RobertDickau
08-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Right --- it depends on the application. The InstallShield5-setup-doesn't-wait issue is proof of that; and apparently your Lotus issue is another.