PDA

View Full Version : "unknown source" error

josephine
07-31-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi,

In a basic MSI project, I am using the Upgrade table to remove a demo product while installing the real product. I have a standard dll custon action(immediate action) scheduled after "ExecuteAction" in the UI sequence. I got a "Unknown Source ." error of the Dll Custon Action at the very end of the install if the demo product is found on the system and removed. There would be no such error if there is no demo.

Is this a bug of Developer's upgrade mechanism or am I missing something?

Thanks a ot,
Josephine

luke_s
08-01-2002, 02:26 AM
When the error comes up and says Error unknown source, is this coming from the demo install you are uninstalling, or the one you are using to uninstall the demo?

Maybe the demo install is trying to use some source that is not accessible when it uninstalls?

Try using a log
msiexec /I "MSIPACKAGE.msi" /L*V c:\log.txt

this might provide some extra details :)

Beutel
08-01-2002, 04:06 AM
Hi Josephine,

I know the problem too.
Probably the uninstalled demo is also developed with Installshield. If you uninstall the demo, the installation create the dll-wrapper file: Dll_.ini in your temporaly directory with the CA "DLLWrapStartup". After the uninstall, the application delete this file with the CA "DLLWrapCleanup".
The problem is, your current installation use the same CA's to create a wrapper file, unfortunately use InstallShield the same filename for the wrapper for every installation. So your installation can't find the wrapper file, because the current used wrapper file is deleted by the uninstall of your demo.
To solve the problem I have create a CA name DLLWrapStartup_Again type: 1, source: <ISProductFolder>\redist\language independent\i386\dllwrap.dll, target: DLLWrapStartup and have placed this action after ExecuteAction CA in the UserInterface sequence. This should be work to on your project.

InstallShield: Why do you don't use a random name for the wrapper ini file? I have problems with this mechanism in all project, in which I try to uninstall other InstallShield MSI installations or start an other installation during my installation.

regards

Beutel

josephine
08-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Hi Beutel,

Thanks a lot for your clarification and help. I tried your solution and it works on my project.

Regards,
Josephine