Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Find Installation Folder?

How to Find Installation Folder?

Hi there..

I have a created a Install Shield project that performs a major upgrade. The older version of the product being upgraded may have been installed into a folder that differs from new version of the our product.

The upgrade is working well but a need has arisen to allow the user to select files to be backed up prior to the upgrade removing them from the original location.

How can I via script retrieve the folder path (installation folder) of the product being upgraded?

+++++++++++++
    Example:

Lets say that version 1 of the product was installed in C:\Program Files\Version1

And version 2 of the product will be installed in C:\Program Files\Version2

Now when I upgrade from Version1 to Version2, I need to determine that when version1 was installed, the user installed it into C:\Program Files\Version1

InstallShield seems to know - how can I find this information - I assume the Registry? But my searches have not provided any meaningful information.

+++++++++++++

Each version of our product has within InstallShield:

A unique version number
    A unique product code
    A unique package code
    Common Upgrade code

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Brent

Given the older product's ProductCode value, you can call MsiGetProductInfo with INSTALLPROPERTY_INSTALLLOCATION (or Installer.ProductInfo with "InstallLocation") to get the old installation directory.

How will I know what the colder product was? With my project being a major upgrade the product code changes from release to release and the use may be jumping versions when upgrading?

Example

Version 1 has a product code of a
    Version 2 has a product code of b
    Version 3 has a product code of c

All 3 share a common upgrade code.

If a user starts with version 1 and decides to proceed to version 3 without passing through version 2? How would I code IS to handle this situation?

Many Thanks

Brent

The "action property" in the Upgrade table (usu. ISACTIONPROP1) will be semicolon-separated list of ProductCode values for products being removed, so perhaps use that?

Hi...

I checked in the Upgrade table and only the upgrade code is shown. I don't see any product codes listed there?

Thanks

Brent

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast