Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: InstallScript generate GUID's?

InstallScript generate GUID's?

Is it possible to write an Installscript function to generate a GUID/Uniqueidentifier?

There's nothing built in, but please search these forums for "generate GUID installscript" to see several code samples...

Maybe I am just blind, but I searched these forums for code/suggestions to do this, and was unable to figure it out. If I used some of the old code, it would not compile in version 14. I also found where in around version 6, someone submitted a help idea to Macrovision, and supposedly they came up with an object "InstallShield.GUID" that would create a guid. Yet I try this and have no luck either.

I haven't tried it, but does the code in this thread work? Or could you post the code that fails?

(There is a GenerateGUID method of the ISWiProject object, but that's available only at design/build time, and not run time.)

Here are the error messages when it compiles...

C:\HelloWorld\InstallShield\HelloWorldInstall\script files\setup.rul(116) : error C8025: 'S_OK' : undefined identifier
    C:\HelloWorld\InstallShield\HelloWorldInstall\script files\setup.rul(145) : error C8025: 'WideCharToMultiByte' : undefined identifier
    C:\HelloWorld\InstallShield\HelloWorldInstall\script files\setup.rul(146) : error C8025: 'CP_ACP' : undefined identifier
    C:\HelloWorld\InstallShield\HelloWorldInstall\script files\setup.rul(145) : error C8041: '(' : function type required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast