Patch not updating a DLL file
We are using Installscript MSI Project. We have generated a patch of type "Small Update". We generate patches separately for each Feature. All these days the patches generated were updating the installed files corrrectly.
But recently we are generating a patch for a Feature. It has 6 sub-features.
There are many DLLs in all these sub-features, but recently we have updated a DLL file along with many other DLLs and other type of files and tried generating the patch. But when we are installing the patch, that particular DLL is not getting updated on the test machines.
We have tried using all the REINSTALLMODE options(o,e). Even if we use REISTALLMODE=a, then it is creating a backup of that DLL in the $PatchCache$, but it is not updating that file in the target location.
I also checked at run time, whether it is locked using InstallScript, but it is not locked.
Please suggest me where may be the problem?
It will really be great help for me. I am breaking my head to find where is the problem .
Thanks in Advance,
You might try generating an MSI log file at run time, and then searching for the name of the file that's not being updated, or at least its component. Did you increment the DLL's version information? Does the InstallShield upgrade validation at build time tell you anything more?
already tried all those :-(
Thanks for the reply.
I already tried generating verbose log file while installing, but it has no information related to this file. But if i use REINSTALLMODE=a, it is saying it is copying that DLL to the $PatchCache$ folder and thats it. That DLL is getting copied to Cache folder, but it is not getting updated in the Install Location.
I have also tried increasing the DLL version. Even this is also not solving the problem.
Installshield upgrade validation is not showing any specific errors or warnings.
What else may be the problem ?????
If you search the log file for the name of the component containing the DLL, does it say anything about the component's upgrade behavior?
Finally found the solution :-)
Finally I have found the problem.
The problem was with the "FileSequenceStart" value in the "ImageFamilies" Table of the PCP file.
We are using Installshield's automation tools to build these patches. We were using a PCP template file and upating it using scripts.
But this value "FileSequenceStart" was always "3" and we were not updating it while building the patch.
From msdn help found that
"This same file sequence number must not exist in two patches for the same product. To ensure this, the value in this field must be greater than all sequence numbers used in previous patches or in the original installation package."
Hence implementing this has solved the problem,,,
Thanks for all your help,,,