Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Required Execution Level

Required Execution Level

Is the "Require Administrative Privileges" property in the Summary Information Stream the same as the "Required Execution Level" property in the release view?? If not what are the differences? If so then why do they not provide the same selections?

The Required Execution Level setting in the Releases view indicates how the Windows Vista application manifest (which InstallShield embeds into the setup launcher if you include one in the release) should be configured. The manifest controls how Windows Vista systems should run the Setup.exe file, any setup prerequisites, and the .msi file on Windows Vista systems.

The Require Administrative Privileges setting in the Summary Information Stream part of the General Information view applies to just the .msi file. It specifies whether administrative privileges are required in order to run the .msi file on Windows Vista. When you configure this setting, InstallShield sets the the fourth bit (0x08) of the Summary Information Stream's Word Count property.

Does that help clarify the difference?

Debbie Landers
    Macrovision Corporation

I gathered that much from reading the context sensitive help in InstallShield. But as someone who hasn't played with Vista/MSI4.0 a whole lot, the real question is what does it `really` mean. That is, in terms of real world use cases and design patterns.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Debbie, if I set Reqiure Administrative Privileges to yes and Required Execution Level to Administrator then how is this different from setting an install condition of Privileged?

From what I see if you just set the LaunchCondition to Privliged and you ran the install as an Administrator you would get an error message saying that you don't have privileges.

Set the other flags and the setup.exe's manifest will instruct UAC to run with administrator privileges.

I believe you still want to author both since pre MSI 4.0 won't know what any of this is.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast