Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall before Install

Unhappy Uninstall before Install

Hi there,

I'm using InstallShield X and there is a question:

Some programs like Alcohol 120% recognize older versions when installing and then they offer to uninstall this older version before installing the new one. Is there such a function in InstallShield X too?

Thanx,
    Mnemonic

Major upgrade will uninstall all previous versions specified programmatically (no prompt) prior to installing the new version. Perhaps, that's what you are looking for.
    Tsung-Huang Hsieh
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering

I am having a similar problem. We had been using an old, 16-bit version of InstallShield Express (Version 2.13) to create installation packages, but we abandoned it because of ongoing problems with XP. I can create a package with ISX (I am using v. 10.0) that will overlay the prior application, but it leaves a zombie uninstall in the add/remove programs list in Contol Panel. How do I get ISX to recognize and uninstall these old installations?

I am not familiar with Express 2.x. I suppose you can probably use a custom action to uninstall Express 2.x setups from Express X setup.
    Tsung-Huang Hsieh
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by TsungH
    I am not familiar with Express 2.x. I suppose you can probably use a custom action to uninstall Express 2.x setups from Express X setup.
    That particular version runs as a 16-bit application. It dates back to the days when there were still quite a few Windows 3.1x systems out there. It can create installation packages for 32-bit systems, but it does not work well with Windows XP. On some systems, it just hangs and leaves the system in a terrible state. Since it does not use the Windows installer, there is no .msi file, no GUID; hence no way to specify an upgrade path for it.

When my application installs with ISX 10, it will overlay the old files and replace the desktop icon, but it leaves the old installation's entry in the add/remove programs list. This is not just annoying. If you run the uninstall for the old package, it will delete some files installed by ISX 10, but will not fully uninstall the program, leaving even more garbage on the system. You have to run the ISX 10 uninstall to finish the job. User education isn't a viable option when you consider our user community, if you know what I mean .

The only way I know of to get rid of an entry in the add/remove programs list is to delete the registry key for it. I can write an application that does that and anything else that needs to be cleaned up, but it's disconcerting if InstallShield did not provide ISX users with a better way to deal with this problem. We don't disown our legacy products. They shouldn't either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast