Thread: Convert InstallScript Project to Installscript MSI Project

Convert InstallScript Project to Installscript MSI Project

Seemingly simple question. I've inherited an InstallScript project that uses MSDE merge modules and need to change it to use the recommended .MSI approach.

I understand that it is possible to convert an Installscript MSI Project to an Installscript Project, but I've not seen how to do the opposite.

I tried creating an MSI Project and converting it to an Installscript project to see if I could reverse engineer that process, but I keep getting hung up on the include files. ISWI.h has additional includes that are not found by the compiler (fatal error F8511).

TIA

Lightbulb

My experience says...Create a new project from scratch .

Converting to-and-fro is a pain, more then creating a fresh package
    Thanks.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Thanks for the reply - I shall heed your advice.

I have created a wrapper installer in InstallScript that picks up some parameters, installs MDAC 2.80 and MSDE 2000a and then my main product.

The InstallScript wrapper is not an installer in itself, it is almost entirely OnFirstUIBefore and simply runs MDAC_TYP.EXE, reboots if necessary there, runs the MSDE SETUP.EXE (not so simple, but the easiest way to do that job), and then gets MSIEXEC to run my MSI. It may reboot again afterwards but mostly it doesn't, so I can start our main program at the end.

The combined "package" is just under 100 MB... but it works!

Hope that helps,

David
    Installer Engineer
    David Briggs Software Services