Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch vs hotfix

Patch vs hotfix

Hi all,
    My question is so simple..
    What is the difference between a patch and a hotfix. Is the hotfix a patch. Are They two different names of the same thing.
    If I want to update my product which one should I use...
    What are the practices of the software companies when they realeas a patch and when they release a hotfix.
    I appreciate any clarifications...
    Thank you
    Last edited by InstallDev; 09-27-2004 at 11:27 AM.

The answer to your simple question is actually well documented in the DevStudio online help. The one thing that needs to be clarified in your question is the fact that "hotfix" is not a term that InstallShield uses in their documentation. I believe that by "hotfix" you are referring to what is called a "small update" in the online documentation.

Look in the DevStudio help under Advanced Features | Patching | Patching Concepts.

Thank you......
    I read these help documentation before and as you said they never mentioned the hotfix in it. (Even though Installshield is updating its product with hotfixes). I think you are right hotfix is a small update. I think it is usullay done with the quickpatch project. The bad thing about the quickpatch is you have to know which files get modified to be able to use it. I think patchdesign is much better because you do something like a diff between two packages and then you get the delta as the patch. The bad thing about the patch design is that you have to do this diff each time you build a package.we do a build almost every day. you can see how expensive is it to do that with patch design. I am not sure if I understood the patch options clearly.....

I appreciate any comments, clarifications, corrections

Thank you all

Smile

I tried the QuickPatch back in 7.0 and found that it didn't give me sufficient control for my application. Anyway, we use the Patch Design view as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "expensive" to do the patch every day. I have found that the processing to create a patch takes longer than building the package, however, if you really do need to build a patch every day, you should probably automate the entire build process and have it do its thing before you get into the office. How long does it take you to build?

We have a nightly build that takes about 2 hrs. The build of the setup package takes anywhere from 5 mins to 15 mins depending on the machine. And then the build of the Patch package might add another 10 to 30 mins on top of that.

I agree, its certainly not something that you'd want to do manually everyday!

Hi again,
    So, How do you create one patch every day? I am not sure of the best way to do something like that.I think there are two options

Option1:
    create a seperate patch every day that upgrade the package from the previous night to the new one.
    So if we have 3 packages in 3 days we will end up with two patches as follows:

Package1 ---patch1---> package2 ---patch2---> Package3

It is so expensive to keep track of all these patches and enforce users to go through the whole sequence to reach the last package.

Option2:
    Maintain one patch file that can ugrade from all the previous packages to the latest version:
    In the design view, Just keep updating the latest package with the new package and adding the package from the previous night to the previous package list(This list will have 100 packages in it in 3 months). Then we will end up having one patch that we can apply at any time to update any previous version of the product to the latest version.

This patch file will increase in size in a very fast manner that it would be better sometimes to deliver the last original package.....

which option do u use?Or do you have another one?

This is why I see designView as an expensive way to handle patchs....

Thank you
    Last edited by InstallDev; 09-27-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast