Thread: Shortcut icon not displaying

Question Shortcut icon not displaying

I've created a basic MSI project for a Java application that is executed using a .bat file. I've added a shortcut to the .bat file to both the desktop and the Start Menu using an icon located in the installation directory. The icon is a .ico file.

The icon is installed in the proper directory, both the shortcuts work, but neither shortcut is displayed with the icon. They are both showing the default windows icon.

One interesting note is that my application is added to the Add or Remove Programs menu and the icon displayed there is the same one I'm attempting to use in my shortcuts.

There are no build or installation errors reported. Any ideas what is wrong?

Please see InstallShield Knowledge Base article Q106029, "Shortcut Linked to Batch File Does Not Have Proper Icon", at http://support.installshield.com/kb.

Any idea when this will be resolved? I've just had the same problem, this bug has been in the software for over 2 years with no sign of what is surely quite a simple fix.

I have a similar problem with an incorrect icon in the Start Menu

I have a similar problem to this. The default icon is displayed rather than the one specified in the Basic MSI project. The only difference is that shortcut icon in the Start Menu is extracted from an EXE file, but this is a C# application that is compiled for the .NET 2.0 framework. Is this a known problem too?

I notice that the correct icon is added to the [WINDOWS]Installer\<product code>.exe. Also, if you change the icon manually, using the Shortcut link properties, the correct Icon is the only one available in the Icon select dialog. This upsets the uninstaller and the modified EXE will not uninstall, if I do this.

Mike Plummer

Might be worth double checking the entries in the shortcut and icon tables as given in the knowledge base article, if you haven't already done so? This resolved the issue for me, though my shortcut was to a .bat file not a .exe.