Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Installer

Unhappy Windows Installer

I have several cases where users are not able to install my app built with ISX 3.51. They get the following error:

"The installation package cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service. You must install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service."

If I have users on Win9x systems manually run instmsia.exe and then run the installation again it works fine.

Can I add the execution of instmsia.exe as a custom action at the start of the installation to avoid this problem? Is so, at what stage should this be done.

Also - can I set it up to run instmsiw.exe if the target system is Win2000/NT and if so, how?

Thanks
    -----------------------
    Wayne Wengert
    wayne@wengert.org

I'm afraid you cannot install instmsia.exe as a Custom Action. The reason is because the Custom Action is launched from the built msi. For the built msi to run, Windows Installer needs to be installed. But instmsia.exe is what installs the Windows Installer.

I did a little more research on MSDN and found the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q229/8/19.ASP

This article points out this problem for the Office 2K install. The Office 2K Setup.exe is similar to ours. It runs instmsia.exe and then the msi. There current work around is to double click on instmsia.exe and then run the Setup again. They have confirmed that it is a bug of theirs. Funnily it seems that instmsia.exe is somehow dependent on DCOM.
    Chandima Rajakaruna
    Macrovision Corporation

Smile

Thanks Chandima. That is an interesting article. If it can happen to MS's own Office installs I guess we'll all have to live with it for now.

p.s. I like the email notification from this board when someone responds to my posts. Good feature!
    -----------------------
    Wayne Wengert
    wayne@wengert.org

Andy_Kerr Guest

Unhappy

I have a similar problem. however once I have the user manually run the instmsiw.exe file (windows NTSP6) I get a different message when he runs the installation again:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package

Can anyone help me with this?

thanks

andy

Does this happen when you run Setup.exe? Does it happen when you just double click on the msi as well? I have not come across this problem yet. Does the same setup run properly on any other machine? If so that means something is wrong with the Windwos Installer on this particular NT machine. If so try running instmsiw.exe one more time and then the install.
    Chandima Rajakaruna
    Macrovision Corporation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast