Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uninstall does not work

Uninstall does not work

I have found out why none of the files installed with Dev Studio 9 uninstall. If you mark your components as shared, which is the default and recommended setting, they will never be unistalled. This is because the registry entry for shared dlls is incremented on install but never decremented. This is most definantly an installshield bug and a pretty bad one. It did not happen in past installshield versions. I have turned all of my components to not shared but this is not the end of my problems or what I wanted to do. I cannot figure out how to write any install script that will get rid of those registry entries so that my uninstall will work. I cannot see or delete those registry values. If anyone knows how I would appreciate some help. So, until Installshield fixes their issue this will continue to happen. After they fix the issue it will further happen on any upgrades because there are already values set in the registry that can't be removed. If anyone has any advise I would be greatful to here it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul M. is offline InstallShield Developer Support Engineer
    Actually this property and the key itself are maintained by windows installer itself. Windows installer will decrement and increment this number based upon whether or not a component is being uninstalled/installed respectivly. I would recommend checking the components requested states during the uninstall as this will give more information as to what the problem truly is.

I am not sure that I know how to do that, could you point me in the right direction? What I do know is that I force an uninstall before every install. There is no option, it is automatically done. I also know that I did this in my previous installshields and never once had an issue. So, the uninstall is running, then I look at the registry and there is no decrement ever. I guess it could be an issue with Windows Installer, however I do not see how. If you can tell me how to check that I will and maybe that will lead me to a solution. Thanks for your help.

Paul M. is offline InstallShield Developer Support Engineer
    I would recommend running the installation with the /verbose <path to log> option for Installscript MSI projects or running the setup.exe with the /v"/l*v <path to log>"
    This will give you the component states and shed some light on this problem.

I will thanks for the reply. I have another quick question. You seem pretty knowledgeable so I will run this by you. I am trying to delete that Registry entry through install script. I know it is not the best solution but I may not have time for a good solution right now. Why can I not look up a registry name under a registry key that has forward slashes in it. Basically, I can get the install script to to see the SharedDlls key, but then when I try to read and or delete any of my entries underneath it I only get fails. Can you tell me how I can access and delete them.

"C:/xxxx"

It will not let you find any value name that has a slash in it. I have already put two //'s in instead of 1. That did not work either. Thanks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast