Thread: Major upgrade shortcuts disappear

jcardina Guest

Major upgrade shortcuts disappear

Hello, I have a project that is a standard project major upgrade.
    I create my shortcuts using AddFolderIcon in OnFirstUIAfter function.

When the install is run on a computer that has an older version to be updated, it uninstalls the older version just fine and runs the setup for the new version which also installs fine.

Problem is that it removes the old shortcuts automatically for the old version (probably as it should) and my script is run to re-add the shortcuts, however the uninstall doesn't actually remove the old shortcuts until the setup is completed.

What this means is that my old shortcuts are still there when my script attempts to re-add them so it doesn't, no problem, then *after* setup has completed and the final "finish" is clicked on, it then removes the old shortcuts.

In effect the upgrade results in no shortcuts anywhere.

I've found that if I use a different szItemName parameter in my new setup when I call AddFolderIcon then it all works because it creates new and different shortcuts and the old ones are removed, but I don't want to have to do that.

Any ideas? Is this a bug that it delays removing them so long after the uninstall was run for the old version?

Yes, it's a well known bug, not only for Shortcuts, but for everything script-created. One solution is to wrap the creating lines into Disable/Enable(LOGGING). But this must be done in the old version. If it's to late to do so, one solution would be, in fact, renaming the shortcut (and Disable Logging, to keep the name during future upgrades), or follow KB article Q107649, which says: 'Use silent uninstall instead of buggy MajorUpgrades'.

HTH,
    Andrees
    Dr. Andrees Latten
    MaK DATA SYSTEM Kiel GmbH

jcardina Guest

Angry

Originally posted by alatten
    Yes, it's a well known bug, not only for Shortcuts, but for everything script-created. One solution is to wrap the creating lines into Disable/Enable(LOGGING). But this must be done in the old version. If it's to late to do so, one solution would be, in fact, renaming the shortcut (and Disable Logging, to keep the name during future upgrades), or follow KB article Q107649, which says: 'Use silent uninstall instead of buggy MajorUpgrades'.

HTH,
    Andrees
    Thank you for your reply and the link.

How typical of Installshield to have a serious bug that is over 6 months old and no fix in sight, just a workaround which basically says "don't use this important feature, it doesn't work, you wasted your money Ha ha".

I'm surprised that the knowledgebase article didn't offer to fix it for a minor investment of several thousands of dollars.

The days of the near criminal behaviour of forcing people to pay for an upgrade just to fix bugs seem to be gone for almost every other software vendor, why does InstallShield persist in this and why do so many of their users accept it?

This is the final straw for me, every new release we put out seems to be a constant fight to find workarounds for yet more bugs in InstallShield or the latest merge modules.

I'm tired of searching for resolutions to mysterious installation problems and I certainly don't have time to go back to the website every other day to read what the latest bug is that goes unresolved so this may be a well known problem for those that have the time to do that but it certainly is news to me.

There must be a better product out there, InstallShield has a lot of features, yes, but if it wasn't for installscript and the control it provides we wouldn't be using it in the first place.

It's been a liability for too long for our business.

I'm definitely not going to invest in yet another upgrade only to fix bugs, I'm looking elsewhere for our next release.

Thank you for your reply.

AFAIK, this (and some other) problem is still not fixed in ISDev 8.02. I.e. even paying more money would not be enough to make this products basic features work as expected...

Andrees
    Dr. Andrees Latten
    MaK DATA SYSTEM Kiel GmbH

jcardina Guest
    I got an email back from InstallShield today when I submitted feedback on this issue.

Their reply was that they realize it's a "critical" feature and that they hope to have it resolved "this year".

This year!

In our shop, if a customer reports a critical problem with our software we generally fix it within the hour.