Thread: UID entry in Registry

carinc Guest

UID entry in Registry

I was wondering if it is possible to change the UID in the Registry to something else. My company wants to say the product name in the registry rather than have the UID displayed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion|\Uninstall

Thanks

carinc Guest
    I figured out how to create it so that it has the folder stucture I want which is the following...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion|\Uninstall\MyProduct\Version

.. But I'm mainly concerned if there are going to be any side effects to chaning it like this. The reason why I need to do this is because this product can have multiple version on a platform and this is how my company decided how to store the multiple versions in the registry.

Please if you know of any problems let me know. Thanks

Doing like that may not display your program in the list of Add / Remove Programs of Windows.

Regards,
    Ramana.
    Kaza V. Ramana
    Cordys R&D

No you can't do this if you want the entries to appear in the Add/Remove pregrams applet.

You could try something like

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion|\Uninstall\MyProduct_version