PDA

View Full Version : Build error

Buddha
07-12-2002, 10:42 AM
Having problem with 3.54 build. Won't get past com extraction.
Version 3.53 worked fine but needed Crystal merge module.
Tried to uninstall 3.54 to go back to 3.53, no luck. Had to reinstall 3.54. Now I am stuck with no way to deliver product. Please assist me in getting this 3.54 version working properly.
Thanks
Jim Nelson

Chandima
07-12-2002, 11:12 AM
Do you know which file is causing the COM Extraction error? If so you can set that files Registration property to "Self-Register" instead of Extract COM Informaiton.

Buddha
07-12-2002, 11:37 AM
Chandima, thanks for the quick reply. I have 7 custom ActiveX object created with VB6. All need to be installed as COM objects for proper Client/Server operation. All object worked under 3.53.

I will change reg type on each and get back to you.
Thanks
Jim

Buddha
07-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Changed "extract com" to self register. Build went fine (0 errors and 0 warnings). 22 of 63 files in my install are com objects. When setting any one (or more) to extract com, a fatal error message is shown in the build window. Even my Active Bar ActiveX component won't extract com in IS version 3.54.

No problems in 3.53. If no answer can be determined, please advise me on how to get back to 3.53. Have tried once using control panel remove programs then reinstalled 3.53. The 3.53 version did not work properly, gave messages about problems reading the merge modules during start up of IS program.

Thank for your help.
If you like I can call you on my dime. email me if you think this will help solve problems.
jwn@hiwaay.net

Chandima
07-12-2002, 03:19 PM
I found a bug in our COM extraction code just last week. My honest opinion is that the COM Extraction of 3.54 is MUCH better than that of 3.53. So the more you stick to 3.54 the better. Please send me your project to chandimar@installshield.com and a few of the files that cause this COM error to see what exactly is going wrong. Thanks.