PDA

View Full Version : Patches and DLL Versions

Scott Duckworth
05-16-2002, 06:13 AM
When creating a patch using the Patch Creation Wizard you can specify the version relationship. The default is the new version is >= previous version. After creating a patch the log contains files that were different but the version numbers were the same. It appeared that it did include these files in the patch but these files were not updated when the patch was run. Does the Windows Installer service not update these files on the client machine unless the version number is higher? The files are different but the version number was not changed when they were compiled. If the Patch Creation Wizard included them because of the version relationship rule why doesn't the installer service update them?

Scott Duckworth
05-16-2002, 07:13 AM
I guess my basic question is:
If a DLL is included in a patch, The previous and current DLL version number is the same but the dates are different (the current DLL is newer), will this DLL be updated when the patch is run?

KathyMorey
05-16-2002, 08:14 AM
As I understand the MSI versioning rules, the answer is "no". If the versions of the two files are the same, the file is not updated. You might want to go to the MSI help files and search for file versioning to get the complete set of rules.

HTH
Kathy