PDA

View Full Version : Word,Excel etc. Shortcuts not working?

PatrickOCIE
04-03-2002, 02:50 AM
I've recently created an installation & when it's run, if the MSI engine is updated it seems to delete all of the office shortcuts. On some machines it just bombs out & wont continue, on others it's fine??? Has anybody seen anything like this before? Help??

Mario Noack
04-03-2002, 06:49 AM
Please restart this machine.

PatrickOCIE
04-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the Response!
Restarting sorted out a laptop that was experiencing the error. But we have 3 on-site machines in South Africa which restarting wont resolve. These machines display 2 error messages during installation "String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table" then near the end of the Install "0x80040706 Object reference not set, setup will now terminate". When the setup terminates, some files have been installed (not all) & the shortcuts dont work (even after rebooting). I think this is definately to do with upgrading the MSI.dll to version 2.0 BUT I havent a clue what to do about it... Any advise greatly appreciated...

Mario Noack
04-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Sorry, but my english is not good. So I understand only 50% of your thread. Can you explain this problem again with some simple word:(

PatrickOCIE
04-03-2002, 08:11 AM
Sorry about that Mario,

3 machines show the following errors:

1. "String PRODUCT_NAME was not found in string table"

2. "0x80040706 Object reference not set, setup will now terminate".

I think this is because of the MSI engine being upgraded.

After restarting the machines, some files are installed but the
shortcuts for Excel, Word still don't work.

Thanks for you help
Regards
Patrick.

Mario Noack
04-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Have you only this 3 machines in south africa? Which language version of Windows is installed?

Link of Word and Excel was submited by Windows Installer. So it is possible, that Windows Installer is defect?! Try to reinstall windows installer.