PDA

View Full Version : 32 / 64 Bit Windows in the same ism files - Anybody actually got this working?

MarvinTPA
10-09-2006, 06:36 PM
I started with a basic MSI installer using both Microsoft Merge Modules and my own Merge Modules to generate a 32-Bit Windows application installer.

My objective is to be able to create both 32-Bit and 64-Bit installers using exaclty the same number of ISM files as I currently have. Extending them to generate the new 64-Bit installer as part of a Release Wizard Product Configuration.

Using various techniques found here and elsewhere I am gradually working my way through converting my existing ISM files to be able to generate the 64-Bit version.

I am currently stuck on the problem of trying to indicate how the Module Dependancies should now work.

As far as I can tell, the Install Information->General Information General Information->Module Dependencies dialog does not have a counter-part in the Media->Releases dialog. As an aside There also seems to be a counter-part INSTALLDIR property missing as well! This forces me to create a CA that sets the INSTALLDIR to either ProgramFilesFolder or ProgramFiles64Folder depending upon the value of VersionNT64!

So I have a file (First.ism) that defines a 32-Bit Merge Module (First32.msm) that is dependant upon another 32-Bit Merge Module (Second32.msm) and within the same ism file (First.ism) I also define a 64-Bit Merge Module (First64.msm) that is equally dependant upon the a 64-Bit Merge Module (Second64.msm).

:confused: How do I tell InstallShield to associcate them correctly? :confused:

I am beginning to think that duplicating the original set of files and dealing with the dual updates may be the way to go! InstallShield does not seem to be designed to do this easily! :(

Ravi R
07-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Hi,

I am also stuck in the same situation. Did you make it or is there any work around solution for this? Let me know.

Thanks,
Ravi

MarvinTPA
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
I gave up! :(

I now have two ism files and I am dealing with the dual updates.

Ravi R
07-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks Martin. I will also probably have 2 isms.

SamitaG
08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Hi ,
I have build a single setup.exe on 32 bit machine to support both 32 bit as well as 64 bit application.

When setup.exe is executed it shows 32 bit process in Windows task manager.

While running the setup on 32 bit machine, 32 bit dynamic link libraries(DLL) are getting copied in system32 folder but when setup is executed on 64 bit machine 64 bit dynamic link libraries(DLL) are getting copied in sysWOW64 folder.

But I want to move the 64 bit dynamic link libraries(DLL) which are copied by the setup into sysWOW64 folder to system32 folder.

I would appreciate if anyone can give some input to resolve this
Thanks in advance

coJeff
08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Currently this is how I do it. I have a main installer that pulls in a number of Merge Modules. I then have some features for 32bit and some for 64bit. I set release flags for each of the features and create a 64 & 32 bit release config for each platform. Then if I want a 64bit install I just use the proper release config. You'll need to set the template summary for the 64bit release config to work. One last thing is the Release flags are only available to the Installscript-msi projects.

At build time we just build one installer for each platform and place both on our cdrom.