PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 11 from 10.5.... and broke

NGaida
05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Upgraded my installation project (basic MSI) from 10.5 to 11. Re-built with the standalone builder, ran the install. Right off the bat recieved an error message about how I didn't have permission to write to "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

After I installed none of my shortcuts had icons. (checked with orca, Icon table has only 1 entry: ARPRODUCTICON.exe)

Checked further, some of the feature conditions had been ignored while installing.

Reverted to 10.5 for now until I figure out what's going on, just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else who might run into problems.

Nate

halcyon
05-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the land of InstallShield 11 misery!! I upgraded to 11, and it also broke. I uninstalled 11 and it messed up my previous 10.5 version. Now, whenever I click on a .ism file, my computer doesn't know what program to use to open it. Furthermore, uninstalling 11 wiped away many of the standard options in the Redistributables view. Gone are all the MFC options and all the Microsoft Runtime libraries! Since I was using some of these, my project won't even build now without errors. I'm thinking I'm going to have to uninstall 10.5 too and then reinstall it.

Is InstallShield 11 supposed to be an IMPROVEMENT????? :rolleyes:

bobcorrigan
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear you two have had some problems in the early days of 11 - yes, IS 11 is an improvement over earlier releases, and we're working hard to address issues as our customers report them to us.

I encourage you to call your InstallShield support rep and open up tech support cases for both of the issues you've hit. Early reports don't jibe with what you've reported, so I'd like to see if we can reproduce what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Bob Corrigan
IS Product Manager

NGaida
05-12-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear you two have had some problems in the early days of 11 - yes, IS 11 is an improvement over earlier releases, and we're working hard to address issues as our customers report them to us.

I encourage you to call your InstallShield support rep and open up tech support cases for both of the issues you've hit. Early reports don't jibe with what you've reported, so I'd like to see if we can reproduce what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Bob Corrigan
IS Product Manager

Bob, check out. An IS developer has logged a bug on the icon issue. http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=147583

bobcorrigan
05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Saw that - we're still looking for reports for the defects reported in this thread, which may be indicative of other issues.

You win the award for reading the forums, tho...want a t-shirt?

bob

NGaida
05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
:)

I like tshirts. My only IS tshirt is getting ratty, had it for a few years. ;)

JacobLevin
05-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Upgraded my installation project (basic MSI) from 10.5 to 11. Re-built with the standalone builder, ran the install. Right off the bat recieved an error message about how I didn't have permission to write to "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

I have tried this with a basic scenario and I could not reproduce this. Does this happen with every project you run with?

Do you have any custom actions in your setup?
Does the error come up immediately before any setup initialization comes up?
Does it happen when you launch the MSI file or only with the setup.exe?
If it's only with the MSI file could you post a log?

I'd like to figure out where the issue here is and get to the root cause.

Thank you.

JacobLevin
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I uninstalled 11 and it messed up my previous 10.5 version. Now, whenever I click on a .ism file, my computer doesn't know what program to use to open it.

This is simply because InstallShield 11 associates itself with the .ism extension as version 10.5 did. When you uninstall version 11 we don't restore any previous association.

Furthermore, uninstalling 11 wiped away many of the standard options in the Redistributables view. Gone are all the MFC options and all the Microsoft Runtime libraries! Since I was using some of these, my project won't even build now without errors. I'm thinking I'm going to have to uninstall 10.5 too and then reinstall it.

Can you clarify the options that were removed?

Are the MFC merge modules not visible?
Which Merge modules are removed?

Any information you can provide so we can find the cause of this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

NGaida
05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Attached log. Happens with either MSI or setupe.exe.

Another odd behavior:

My setup contains a registry entry that adds a "browse with our app" to folders and drives. In 10.5 this worked as expected. In 11, this option becomes the default action and after uninstall the default action changes to "search" instead of "explore".

(It shouldn't be the default action.)

JacobLevin
05-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Attached log. Happens with either MSI or setupe.exe.

Another odd behavior:

My setup contains a registry entry that adds a "browse with our app" to folders and drives. In 10.5 this worked as expected. In 11, this option becomes the default action and after uninstall the default action changes to "search" instead of "explore".

(It shouldn't be the default action.)

The log seems to indicate that there is a registry key being added: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Note the log shows:

WriteRegistryValues: Key: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Name: , Value:
MSI (s) (D4:B4) [21:43:46:090]: Note: 1: 1401 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 3: 87
Error 1406.Could not write value to key \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

The WriteRegistryValues action writes everything that would be in your registry table to the registry. To get around this can you take a look in the registry view and make sure that you don't have an HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? That should fix this error.

As to the root cause of the upgraded project having the problem where the 10.5 version did not, if you could cut down your project or reduce it to a very small size that reproduces it - perhaps take everything except the registry data out and see. I would be more than happy to file a bug and check that we verify this exact case in future releases.

As for the new issue you mentioned, could you provide specific details as to how to reproduce it?

Thank you very much.

NGaida
05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I did notice that in the log, but wasn't sure what was causing it. I was going to do an MSI diff on the 10.5 generated MSI and the 11 generated MSI, but I pull in the reg files dynamically which means they were all different anyway.

I plan to make them non-dynamic and then do a build with each 10.5 and 11 and do a diff then to see what changed. Or maybe the dynamic portion is what's breaking it, either way I would find out. Time is somewhat scarce though, so I'll try to get to in soon.

Nate

halcyon
05-13-2005, 01:36 PM

I have reported all my issues. I'm still waiting for answers! :p

halcyon
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
This is simply because InstallShield 11 associates itself with the .ism extension as version 10.5 did. When you uninstall version 11 we don't restore any previous association.

Well, this isn't very helpful if you want to revert to the previous version. How exactly are you supposed to restore the assocations short of reinstalling?

Can you clarify the options that were removed?

Are the MFC merge modules not visible?
Which Merge modules are removed?

In the Redistributables view, I had the following selected:

MFC 7.1
Microsoft C Runtime Library 7.1
Microsoft C++ Runtime Library 7.1

After uninstalling 11, these (along with others that I didn't have selected) were gone, and when I built, I kept getting an error that it couldn't find these modules (but they had less readable names like VFC_4456, etc., in the error messages).

JacobLevin
05-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Well, this isn't very helpful if you want to revert to the previous version. How exactly are you supposed to restore the assocations short of reinstalling?

I understand and this has always been the case with our products and frankly, I'm not sure of any product I've seen that did restore associations during uninstall - that doesn't mean there aren't any, I'm just not aware of any.

I have submitted a feature request (WO 1-1ALT05) to provide an option to reassociate file extensions within the IDE.

MFC 7.1

After uninstalling 11, these (along with others that I didn't have selected) were gone, and when I built, I kept getting an error that it couldn't find these modules (but they had less readable names like VFC_4456, etc., in the error messages).

I will look into this and see what I can find out.

Thank you.

JacobLevin
05-16-2005, 03:43 PM

MFC 7.1

This is a bug in the setup and I have reported WO 1-1ALT0G to fix it.

Repairing the 10.5 install will fix this as well as your other issue.

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience that these issues have caused.