PDA

View Full Version : multiple silent installs in one .iss file

raklar
08-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to store infromation about 2 different silent installs in the same .iss file.

basically what we're trying to do is silently upgrade from previous versions. we have 2 scenarios.

1 - upgrade from v 4.1 -> 5.1(current release. has a dialog that prompts if the user wants to upgrade the existing version or install separatly. Naturally we want to silently be able to choose the upgrade option

2 - upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1. basically only has an welcome dialoge then starts upgrading automatically.

Our install detects which version is currently on the system and goes down the appropriate path. What I'm wondering is it possible to store information for either scenario in the same .iss file so it can be installed silently in either situation, or do I have to create a separate .iss file for each one.

thanks,

Christopher Painter
08-16-2004, 05:59 PM
You could write a bootstrapper EXE that does some special product detection and then launches the setup.exe calling the needed ISS file.

Or you could just get completly away from the old school response file method and start using MSI conditional statements and dialogs that don't appear in silient mode anyways.

raklar
08-16-2004, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I was looking at making a bootstrapping program, but I was hoping there might be some quick answer on how to do it without one.

I have plans of converting this install to an soley msi based one, but unfortunatly I joined the project to late to design it from scratch and ended up just reusing most of our old code.... so unfortunatly straight MSI isn't an option at this time.