PDA

View Full Version : Professional vs Premier

johnludlow
05-03-2004, 10:04 AM
Ok, I'm looking at the comparison between the two versions.

Ok, Premier has Expo Autoplay bundled with it (for free, I'm assuming?). It also has much better Multiplatform support (not sure if we'll use that, but it's on the cards).

But there is also a difference in the version of Update Service it has. It comes with Update Service Starter Edition plus Delivery, rather than the basic garden variety Update Service Starter Edition. What is meant by "Delivery"?

Thanks

David Thornley
05-03-2004, 12:40 PM
In the professional edition the Update Service Starter Edition will only have notification. What that means is that when your users click on the update notification you can take them to a web page or something like that.

Delivery means that when your users click on the update notification the update will automatically download and install without the need for an intermediate step.

In addition, premier edition contains all of the runtime lanuguages. These were formerly known as the East and West language packs. The language packs will not be available as separate products anymore, so users needing to create multi-lingual setups will want to get premier edition.

johnludlow
05-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks. I'll be talking to my managers tomorrow so we'll see what happens. ;)

MattTweedie
05-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Some of the developers here use language packs and some don't.

If a project is created (in English only) with the Premier version, can the Professional version open, and edit it?

TIA,
Matt

David Thornley
05-10-2004, 03:17 PM
This behavior is unchanged from previous versions of InstallShield. When you open a language enabled project in an IDE that does not support those languages those languages will automatically be disabled.

nat2k4us
05-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Continuing on the delivary option in premier,

Paractically I think this is how it will work. The user is installing the application and during install the update service will check to see if there are updates. If there are updates it would either install directly or show a web page with a link to download and install the upgrade.

The point is that this occurs only at the time of installation of the application and for every time the application is run. Because I don't know how InstallShield will be able to tie into the running application.

Is this right?

David Thornley
05-27-2004, 09:22 AM
For the starter edition of Update Serivce that this is handled through an external service called the upgrade manager. Update checks are checked for based on timed intervals and not when you open your application. The full edition of Update Service can integrate with your application as you suggest.

nat2k4us
05-27-2004, 09:47 AM
So there would always be a (application / process i.e Upgrade manager) running in the background on a system where my application is installed..right?

And this process must not be blocked internet access by the user via a firewall.

But will a end user trust a updmgr.exe(i.e Upgrade Manager.exe), which he is not able to mentally link up to the application he installed ?

Would be nice if the application he installed carries out the upgrade service.

andreasS
06-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Hello,

we are willing to upgrade from Version 5.1 Professional to Installshield X, and I did not complete understand the "Multi-Lingual Support".

We need to create german and english setups. Is this impossible with Installshield X PRO, so that we MUST use X Premier? Or can we create 2 projects with X Professional, one for english and one for german?

Thank you,
Andreas

johnludlow
06-24-2004, 03:21 AM
No, you should go for Premier, since Pro doesn't support more than one language.

Stefan Krueger
06-24-2004, 08:37 AM
If you only need English and German then you could use the German edition of InstallShield X Professional which supports 2 languages (German+English) while the English edition of InstallShield X Professional supports only 1 language. This language is selected when you install InstallShield X Professional (English version), so you cannot create one project in German and another in English.

If you need more then these two languages you must buy/upgrade to Premier. Note that if you own the International West edition of InstallShield 5 you ay be eligible to buy Premier at a reduced price. You can contact me in private (and in German) if you have questions.

JStone
02-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the information. It really helped me. I was under the impression that the Professional German edition too supports only one language like Professional English edition.

JStone

Stefan Krueger
02-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Note that this is only true for Windows Installations (InstallScript and Windows Installer projects), but not for multi-platform setups (Universal project type). For Universal projects not even the IDE is localized.